Rear mounted 4-stroke on a standard/premium rear rack mount???

bakaneko

Hello folks. From another post regarding a bmx bike, an interesting picture came up of a 4-stroke motor rear mounted on what seems like a standard rear rack. The picture only shows the plastic face of the motor but it doesn't even seem if there is a complex transmission on the motor, but rather probably just a straight shaft to the rear wheel sprocket. I was always under the impression that you needed a properly built rear rack mount for a 4-stroke motor. Could you really simply mount a 4-stroke motor on a standard or premium rear rack? I mean if you could, I think this provides significant advantages over a frame mounted engine or a rear friction system:

- Eliminates the specific frame size restrictions of a 4-stroke
- Lowers costs (just need engine with straight shaft and sprocket, chain, gas tank, and other minor things)
- Provides a super easy install (put on rear rack, put on motor, put on chain, and hook up lines)

I only used 2-stroke engine so I have no idea of the mount requirements for a 4 stroke. And, lol, I also been posting way too much... :eek:

Attachments

M

musical_pulltoy

while its not a four stroke, its better, ive been running a rear mount from the start.the first two generations were multiple speed 26" mountain bikes mounted with the garelli noi motor hung off the left side with 1" square tubing, a front fork for the rear mount and a scissor jack screw for adjusting chain. ran around 40mph one day into the side of a careless motorist. rear spoke replacement became to much for me to deal with so it sat till i made a bad purchase of a chinese ebike. an aowa sold by the predetor business phoenix produce / phoenix ebikes an theres many others with different names see the whole story here https://www.facebook.com/Electric-bikes-E-Bikes-Electric-bicycles-from-china-596417707127380/
so i took this pos which has a rear rack, and mounted the garelli motor on it, bolted a sprocket to the e-hub. its a daily rider now

Thread Status: Hello , there has been no activity in this thread for more than 365 days. You can still reply to this thread but you might not get an answer. You are much better off creating a new thread to get more replies.