Rear rack Greyhound mountain build

:geek:I just noticed, Your 43 sucker. Geeese, the way you called me old man I thought you were 32 or something Alex.:eek: Yea, I should have her assembled in a day or two. Maybe a day or so more to get her riding under power. Have fuel supply and throttle to get solved and sorted.:-/

HaHa...
I feel like I'm 18...
These rain days put me in the garage to build.
Looking forward to seeing your contraption rolling along...
-Lowracer-

Yea, I do know what you mean about the rain and the garage. I had to clean the darn thing so I could actually get to the bench to work on my contraption. Believe it or not, I am excited just at the thought of getting her back together so I can install all motor drivetrain conponents and ride her in bicycle form just to see how the layout worked out for ridability. The being able to go under motor power a little later is just an added bonus.

third stage of build well under way

As any of you might know that have stripped down a Greyhound to its almost bare cylinder state will know that now you must find a place to mount your on/off switch,must seccure a new place to anchor your throttle linkage/cable back at the carb.(weld bracket for cable on engine valve cover),make a new version of the exhaust that will work with a rack mount MB layout. Not to mention haveing to weld the mounting brackets on the factory gas tank in totally different places then they came so I can get the gas tank higher than the engine carb. I choose on the handlebars. These are some of the things besides life happening way to much for my likeing that have been keeping me from being done already with this rack mount build. Will post a couple pics tomorrow.:-/

Last edited:
BTW, I had engine mounted and pulleys and shaft in place and took her for a peddle. Much more balanced and lighter than I thought she would be. I will deffinately go foward with this build to stage four of build. Designing and fabricating functional motor mounts was a real trip on this upside down bike subframe rack.:rolleyes:

Lookin good 4950. One suggestion....I ran a 97cc Lifan on that frame for about 11,000 miles. It had enough torque that it took out the swingarm bushings. Nothing horrible, just kind of a funny crabbing sideways sort of feeling under hard acceleration. Don't know where you can buy them, so I robbed them from another frame. Always planned on making some out of brass or something, but you know how that goes. Just something to keep in mind for down the road.

Lowracer, The double JBWeld rim idea that I stole from you is curing as I type. Finally got to it. Mine will stay where I mount it though. :D I don't have near the ambition that you do as far as moving things around I guess. :giggle:

Yea Ibdennyak, Lowracer Alex dosen't have the patience to follow along with a slow *** builder like me:rolleyes:. He can change the whole configuration of his MB in less than one day when I would have to fiddle with it for a week or more:sick: Ibdennyak, was your motor rack part of the swingarm or was it remote (comeing off the seat area or main frame) ? To try to avoid some of those type of problems like torqueing issues I made the powertrain all one solid unit/all part of the steel swingarm. Where nothing was/is pulling and tugging on something else. The one drawback to this as far as proffessional motorcycle designing goes is what they call extra unsprung weight. But scooters have a **** load of it with their entire drivetrains before the shocks/suspension and its working for them :eek: !

Last edited:
Totally supported on the swingarm. The engine isn't all that heavy, but it still more than doubled the unsprung weight I'm sure. My theory was that I was building a bike with a motor, not a limo, so I would deal with it.

The bushing problem was most apparent when starting from a dead stop and turning while the throttle was open. I could feel a flexing that got worse until I replaced the plastic bushings. I still can't complain about the bike though, the frame is indestructable, and the bushings hung in there pretty well for what they were subjected to.

Back