Sprockets Rear Sprocket alignment??????

Will Snow

Local time
1:39 PM
I am not doing a very good with this.

I am having trouble centering the spocket. I have read several sets of instructions, bought a special adapter that clamps to the rear hub of which the rear sprocket bolts to. I have attached a string to the rear axle and spun the wheel while checking the centering of the sprocket with the other end while in a vice. I also spun the wheel while mounted in the bike checking the sprocket being centered. I seem to get it fairly close but the chain still will tighten and loosen a little after I retighten the bolts.

On this forum I have seen some nice work done and thought someone may have a tip to get it right on center.

Bill Snow

Sprocket

I bought the adapter and 44 tooth sprocket from Live Fast Motors. I also asked for their best quality sprocket and was sent one that was chrome. Not sure better quality but looks good.

The adpater comes in two haves and clamps to the hub using two bolts to tighten it down. Nine holes are drilled in the side of the adapter and threaded. The bolts that attach the sprocket screw into these nine holes. The holes in the sprocket where the bolts pass through are slotted, no need for any drilling.

I have put a few motorized bicycles together with good success except for the Chinese chain drive. This will be my fourth Chinese engine I have installed. None had a smooth chain run which I blamed on low quality parts. This time it is a 4 cycle engine and think the parts are fairly good quality.

Is your sprokets flat. Any warpage ?

Might try to line it up useing only 3 of the bolts in a triangle manner. If that works the other bolts are changing the tension on the sprocket.

We all look at the rear sprocket but there are two. Either can cause problems for a true alignment.
Good luck

what 4 cycle engine kit are you using?

I bought the adapter and 44 tooth sprocket from Live Fast Motors. I also asked for their best quality sprocket and was sent one that was chrome. Not sure better quality but looks good.

The adpater comes in two haves and clamps to the hub using two bolts to tighten it down. Nine holes are drilled in the side of the adapter and threaded. The bolts that attach the sprocket screw into these nine holes. The holes in the sprocket where the bolts pass through are slotted, no need for any drilling.

I have put a few motorized bicycles together with good success except for the Chinese chain drive. This will be my fourth Chinese engine I have installed. None had a smooth chain run which I blamed on low quality parts. This time it is a 4 cycle engine and think the parts are fairly good quality.

I have a livefast clam-shell adapter that is for multi-gear rear wheel.
I installed the hub adapter and tighten down the 2 set screws and then
put in the smaller set screw in the middle. I took the sprocket adapter and
found the spot where it fit level. i had to put my 40 tooth sprocket dished in
for the proper clearance for the bicycle I was using. I had to buy larger size
washers to cover the 9 holes. I put one bolt in the middle on both sides and
tighten down finger tight. I took a wooden ruler and went around the hub
axle and measured and moved the sprocket until the measurments were all
4 equal while making sure the hub adapter and sprocket were still sitting
level. Installed the rest of the washers, lock-washers and hex end bolts,
and tighten them down as much as I dared to while trying to keep equal pressure on all bolts
I took my bike for about 2-mile HT ride and rechecked the sprocket bolts
and had to retighten them considerably. After that they stayed pretty well tight. Yes my chain tightens and loosens a little but I keep a chain tensioner
under the chain. It goes from not super tight to about 3/4 inch tension. I was thinking this was normal considering chain stretch. I don't know if this
helps you much but that is my expierance with the livefast clam-shell.

Sprocket

Well, I am putting your suggestions to use and yes, they do help.

I gave the ruler a try using the three bolt triangle suggestion and getting pretty close. I am now spinning the wheel mounted on the bike frame, using an object attached to the frame and touching the top of the teeth as I turn the wheel. Think I may just get it right on center this time. Will also correct warp as suggested.

The engine is a Shandong Huasheng Zhongtian. I started it up today and what a fine sounding little engine it is. First pull start, very smooth and quiet. Idles down very low and yet remains smooth. Have not tried to ride it yet but so far so good. If I can get this chain dialed in it should make a pretty good set up. Thank you for your suggestions

Best Regards

Bill Snow

I just ordered a clam shell adapter from this place http://home.roadrunner.com/~bikeparts/
Hopefully, all will work out well for me. My rag joint sprocket is a POS and does the slack, tight thing. I highly recommend tossing out your chinese chain and buying a quality chain. I already did and it helped a bunch even with the junk sprocket.

I went to the site you ordered the adapter from, looks good. I see they also make their own sprockets, and where did you find the quality chain?

Gear Box: Chain drive I believe.

Where did I buy the kit? EBay, from Boy Go Fast, BUT, Don't think I would purchase from them again. I have replaced some of their kit items with better quality from other dealers. This forum lists several dealers and many have been reviewed. Probably a good place to start. You will note, Boy Go Fast does not have a good review. So, knowing that, why did I buy from them?
That's easy ---- just being my usual self, cheap and dumb and paying a lot more in the long run.

Bill Snow

Fresno, california

Quality chain? Search KMC 415HD chain. Many places out there to get it. About 15.00 US with shipping. I've read here that some hardware and tractor supply stores carry it too. I checked a lawnmower shop first but the price was way too much. Just avoid the chinese imported stuff and you'll be fine. BTW, the 415HD (HD=heavy duty) stuff should replace the standard plain 415 if that's what your kit came with.

Back