Rear sprocket modification

R

rojo0550

I recently received a DACS brand(??) rear spoke-mount sprocket that
has the 9-hole bolt circle,and 44 teeth.I had previously purchased the
rag-joint sprocket mounting kit from a different source;after lining the 9-hole mounting gasket with the sprocket,I was surprised?? to find that the sprocket
mounting bolt circle didn't match the sprockets bolt-the bolt holes in the sprocket are roughly one size smaller than the mounting- pattern diameter!!!
I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem??
I have decided to live with this snafu by redrilling the proper sized holes-and
correct bolt circle regarding the mount-in the sprocket,but when I tried tentatively drilling holes with a H.S.S. 5/16 inch drill bit I have nothing but problems!!!
What is a good drill bit for drilling in high carbon steel alloys???

i suggest you try introducing yourself to make friends and get the help you're looking for.

your first mistake was trying to mix & match, spend some time reading the forums to learn that hardly ever works.

Rojo -

You can buy the part you need from that's dax's website. www.thatsdax.com

I recommend you don't drill the holes yourself, because you want a concentric pattern. Because you don't know what kind of bit to use in this metal, my guess is you don't have easy access to high-quality machine tools. If I'm wrong, forgive me.

I'd try drilling with a cobalt tipped bit. Expensive, but should work. Again, don't do this unless you're able to drill concentric holes. Remember to lube as you're drilling.

[edit] -- Didn't really understand the question, if you're making the holes bigger, then yours is an easier problem!! Ignore what I said above + drill away :) [/edit]
luck

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have no problem drilling out the holes to make them larger, I do it all the time. Dax's hardware is beefier than other vendors which is why you are seeing the disparity.

:cool:the easiest fix would be to buy new grade 8 bolts that fit the existing holes.

I do know for a fact that all sprockets and rag joints are not the same diameter.

I inherited a box of odds and end parts and found at least two different bolt pattern diameters.

If you bought your sprocket from dax, the sure thing is to buy a rag joint from Dax. IMHO

Back