Rear Sprocket

Local time
8:34 PM
Hello everyone,

I just adjusted my rear sprocket today and took about 4 hours doing so. My chain had uneven tension and it was tighter in some spots than others as I turned the wheel. I tried to align it and it is not as drastic as last time but it still bothers me. What is a good technique to align the sprocket? For some reason, I didn't even over tighten the bolts and one of the nine broke in half. Is it bad that I'm missing one at the moment and I'll get more later? Are there better quality bolts that I can use?

been struggling with those self-locking nuts for a couple years now - they come with many kits and if you use power tools to put them on, they can quickly bind leaving you with a bolt to hacksaw out of there - sometimes happens no matter how carefully they're put on

just got in 1000 nyloc replacements that I'm testing to give to kit buyers that look inexperienced with tools

look around board here to see threads in which I explain how I do it to get sprocket straight

been struggling with those self-locking nuts for a couple years now - they come with many kits and if you use power tools to put them on, they can quickly bind leaving you with a bolt to hacksaw out of there - sometimes happens no matter how carefully they're put on

just got in 1000 nyloc replacements that I'm testing to give to kit buyers that look inexperienced with tools

look around board here to see threads in which I explain how I do it to get sprocket straight

Would it be a problem if I have one broken bolt and still ride the bike until I get another one?

Would it be a problem if I have one broken bolt and still ride the bike until I get another one?

that is no problem. you can ride with a few missing. ace hardware sells replacements by bolt and nut so you can just pick one of them up for <$0.50 in total. Also, the bolts they give you are fine though if you have a lot of vibration you might want to double nut or use a nylon threaded nut.

Thanks and my rear wheel doesn't spin very freely does that have anything to do with the sprocket causing that or is it something else?

Thanks and my rear wheel doesn't spin very freely does that have anything to do with the sprocket causing that or is it something else?
You mean with the chain on? Could be the insanely heavy chain they give you in the kit. These obviously don't freewheel, so the spinning wheel has to drag the chain around.. and you're turning the clutch parts too.. there's lots of potential for drag there, but you should regularly check that your bearings are set and running perfectly so any issues can be found and fixed asap. :)

a quick check is to take off chain and see how wheel spins without it

Back