Rear Wheel Hub Bearing heat

No wonder there is a shortage of bike repair parts...lol.
Dear Fellow Motorheads-,
I took a short ride today and the rear bearings heated up again. Not exceeding 20kph, as the engine is still breaking in. When I loosen the cone/retaining nut assembly by 1/4 turn, the rim is too loose and this is evident when moving it laterally compared to the bike frame. Again, my first motobike had double the rear hub bearings and no bearing cages. I asked the other bike shop to do this, they said it couldn't be done and they didn't do it. Frankly, I don't think that they have the level of expertise and/or they just don't want to it. We all know that installing bearings peacemeal is a PITA but is doable. Thankfully,there are no strange noises coming out of the rear hub and it is turning smoothly. It's not biting into the pedal driven sprocket as it previously was. Again, the new carburator is a gem compared to the previous one, so I can thank the forum for that recommendation. Thanks also to the Parker bearing grease,as it is holding up also-there are no metal to metal sounds-Gearhead437

Dear Fellow Motorheads-,
I took a short ride today and the rear bearings heated up again. Not exceeding 20kph, as the engine is still breaking in. When I loosen the cone/retaining nut assembly by 1/4 turn, the rim is too loose and this is evident when moving it laterally compared to the bike frame. Again, my first motobike had double the rear hub bearings and no bearing cages. I asked the other bike shop to do this, they said it couldn't be done and they didn't do it. Frankly, I don't think that they have the level of expertise and/or they just don't want to it. We all know that installing bearings peacemeal is a PITA but is doable. Thankfully,there are no strange noises coming out of the rear hub and it is turning smoothly. It's not biting into the pedal driven sprocket as it previously was. Again, the new carburator is a gem compared to the previous one, so I can thank the forum for that recommendation. Thanks also to the Parker bearing grease,as it is holding up also-there are no metal to metal sounds-Gearhead437
Bike shops won't touch motorized bikes. The liability and possibilities for law suits is to thank. What bike are you running again?

Back