Rear wheel/rim keeps cracking

• Thread starter Deleted member 30828
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 30828

In the past year I've went through 2 rear wheels, and now need to purchase another, 4 months later. The side wall in the rim keeps cracking, which eventually splits apart rendering the wheel useless. The last one I bought was from wheel master. Mostly good reviews, alum alloy for around 80 bucks, with a double rim wall, but still same problem. Have any of you had similar problems, or any suggestions before I buy another? I know I can buy a more expensive one, but that doesn't guarantee I won't have the same problem. I mostly ride around the city on pavement, so it's not like I'm out here doing stunts and jumps...

Attachments

• 9a1f8f91-856d-425b-aa88-17c214c33eff_resize_87.jpg
    9a1f8f91-856d-425b-aa88-17c214c33eff_resize_87.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 164
  • Screenshot_20210813-132404.jpg
    Screenshot_20210813-132404.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 148
The side wall in the rim keeps cracking, which eventually splits apart rendering the wheel useless.
Just one of many reason i went to mag wheels with disk brakes rather than spoke wheels with rim type braking...Totally elliminated that as even becoming a problem in the first place...DAMIEN
Just click on the Pic to see them all.

In the past year I've went through 2 rear wheels, and now need to purchase another, 4 months later. The side wall in the rim keeps cracking, which eventually splits apart rendering the wheel useless. The last one I bought was from wheel master. Mostly good reviews, alum alloy for around 80 bucks, with a double rim wall, but still same problem. Have any of you had similar problems, or any suggestions before I buy another? I know I can buy a more expensive one, but that doesn't guarantee I won't have the same problem. I mostly ride around the city on pavement, so it's not like I'm out here doing stunts and jumps...
Those rim brakes ya got are eating through your rim sidewalls. Time to upgrade to Disc brakes or Drum brake Wheels

Just one of many reason i went to mag wheels with disk brakes rather spoke wheels with rim type braking...Totally elliminated that as even becoming a problem in the first place...DAMIEN
Just click on the Pic to see them all.

Thanks man 👍 i just ordered a mag wheel. Never dealt with disc brakes before, but I'll figure it out. Do you have a clear pic of how the disc brake fits on the rear wheel of a motor bike? Is it installed in front or behind the sprocket? And if u guys know of any install videos or instructions specific for installing disc brakes on a motor bike, Id appreciate ✌️

You already have the brake cables, so if you order things below, you should have everything you need to set it up like mine if thats what your looking to do...Just make sure that you actually take all the hold down bolts out of the disk rotors, locktite them properly as they dont do it right the first time...lol...and then retighten them properly...It also comes with a 36 tooth sprocket and the spacer that is required between sprocket and disk...DAMIEN

Order two of these, one for the front and rear, so as to adapt the brake calipers to a frame that was not made for disk calipers.

This will have it so you will have both brakes on the right side so as not to interfere with the clutch lever on the left

Thanks man 👍 i just ordered a mag wheel. Never dealt with disc brakes before, but I'll figure it out. Do you have a clear pic of how the disc brake fits on the rear wheel of a motor bike? Is it installed in front or behind the sprocket? And if u guys know of any install videos or instructions specific for installing disc brakes on a motor bike, Id appreciate ✌️
I hope ya ordered the 3 spoke mag wheel like Damien's because it's alot stronger than the 6 spoke mag wheel.

I've seen pics where the 6 spoke mag wheel has sheered off from the hub there's too much flex in it.

But most have no problems with the 6 spoke mag wheel because they don't Race Hard
So if your a moderate rider the 6 spoke mag wheel should be fine.

Me personally if I was gonna buy Mags I would buy the 3 spoke Mag Wheels

For OP, what kind of brake pads are you using? Not all are created equal. Some are soft for gripping/stopping power where others are hard compounds. I know the sides wear but something is amiss w/your issues so frequently. Is your bike fast say you go 50mph regularly? Dunno but a double wall rim should last at least 5000 miles in my opinion.

I started converting back to steel rims. Rim breaks from stress, and from the brakes on all the AL rims I ever used but one. Waiting for it to crack, then I'll replace it. Steel doesn't have as good of a stopping power, but the brakes also don't wear them down nearly as fast as AL rims.

Back