Rear wheel sprocket and fender

M

Member 28982

I recently broke the actual support bars for the rear wheel part of the frame itself after roughly 1500 miles. I recently bought a Margaritaville Cruiser and put the motor on it, thinking the fender was skinny enough to allow the chain to go buy, but it rubs. Also I think I may have installed the rear sprocket backwards because the chain keeps coming off against the spoke side.
I was wondering if I could put my bike upside down and will it damage the engine by doing this, I don't have a stand?

Maybe I just need to take a few chain links out?

Attachments

• 15353722465645190343720003285146.jpg
    15353722465645190343720003285146.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 145
Yes, that chain is waaayyyy too long. Don't keep riding it like that or you risk it jamming in the front sprocket and/or breaking stuff.

Also hard to tell from pic but the alignment looks off also. Your rear sprocket, tensioner, and front engine sprocket all should be on as straight a line as possible.

For the rear fender rubbing the chain, just take a section of flat bar or something up against that section(wrap it with a rag so it doesn't damage the paint) and you can flatten it out a bit by tapping it with a small hammer or mallet. Usually takes only ~1/4" and still leaves plenty of clearance for both the chain and tire. Hitting the flat bar instead of the fender itself will make sure it folds only one clean and even section, and not a bunch of dings and bumps like if you just used a mallet or something on the fender directly.

Thanx so much but is it okay to flip the bike upside down with the wheels in the air? Will that hurt the engine at all, being upside down? . Dont have a bike stand and its difficult changing back tire?

if both carb and gas tank are drained, it will be OK (note: bike is heavier than normal, so check handlebar stuff to see if it will hold the weight)

Thanx so much I was worried about it because that rear wheel sprocket is difficult without a stand.
I know with engines in cars and trucks that if the car flips upside down the engine is pretty much worthless because the oil drains into the piston chambers and heads but because no oil except whats in gas figured it'd be okay but wanted advice from all you good folks.
Thanx for All the help

I recall that before I built my build stand, I used to throw a rope over a tree branch or ceiling rafter and pass it under seat, then clamp it with visegrips so wheel was an inch or so off ground. Kind of a PIA tho.

Thanx. But my throttle ddnt survive the transfer. Its stuck on full throttle. I can control with clutch.
But can we use a simple cable that would be used for brakes and do I need to replace the whole set up.. Carburator and all?

Attachments

• 20180827_194512.jpg
    20180827_194512.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 129
If it is stuck on full throttle, did you make sure the spring and needle washer are installed correctly in the slide? The throttle is literally just a circle cam that the cable runs around, there is not much to it that can go wrong.

Carb side uses a derailer type cable with a small ferrule on the end, not a standard brake cable. You can find them on ebay for cheap if you search for motorized bicycle throttle cable, and some have said they successfully frayed the end and used solder but I would be worried about that coming loose inside the carb.

I actually just ordered a cable from an ebay user in texas for like $6 with the adjuster.

If it is stuck on full throttle, did you make sure the spring and needle washer are installed correctly in the slide? The throttle is literally just a circle cam that the cable runs around, there is not much to it that can go wrong.

Carb side uses a derailer type cable with a small ferrule on the end, not a standard brake cable. You can find them on ebay for cheap if you search for motorized bicycle throttle cable, and some have said they successfully frayed the end and used solder but I would be worried about that coming loose inside the carb.

I actually just ordered a cable from an ebay user in texas for like $6 with the adjuster.
Thanks you've been very helpful, my carburetor end was installed wrong but I'm afraid I may have already broke my throttle hooking it up wrong because the plastic Connection in the throttle end in the handle broke but I did get it all back together and if I baby it until the new one comes in the mail that I ordered on Amazon arrives. It might be okay

Back