Rear wheel

BAZZA614

Local time
1:39 PM
Hello,
the other day i was looking at my rear wheel and realized how loose my spokes are . i was curious to know if there was some special wheel that you could put on there so its still pedal assisted but has a fixed sprocket that wouldn't bend the spokes.
sorry about any spelling mistakes
-Bazza614

Hello,
the other day i was looking at my rear wheel and realized how loose my spokes are . i was curious to know if there was some special wheel that you could put on there so its still pedal assisted but has a fixed sprocket that wouldn't bend the spokes.
sorry about any spelling mistakes
-Bazza614
I'm guessing the answer is probably no.If you could figure a way to attach those sprockets to a plastic bmx compsite wheel you guys would really have something.Until that time I would suggest pedaling to 5-7 MPH before hitting the throttle, then easing the throttle in-out, or getting a heavy duty wheel/spokes.It's fast hard acceleration/decelerations and/or not having the sprocket firmly affixed.Here's a good/easy truing site:http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/trail_fix_wheel_truing.html

keeping the spokes tight & the chain adjusted usually works well for most folks

another option is the sprocket with a 6 hole mount that will bolt to the disk brake area of a hub that has one (possibly with need for a top hat adapter if the chain needs a bit more room to clear the frame

Hey Baz..
I use a sprocket hub adapter.It clamps directly around the HUB of your wheel.They make different types ,they're not cheep,but shop around,usually you can get the sprocket and the adapter in a set around $80.for instance>>http://custommotoredbicycles.com/manic_mechanic_40tooth_sprocket__adapter_and_coaster_brake_wheel
Look around at the venders on this site and you will prolly get a great deal..it's funny..my adapterw/sprocket cost me almost as much as my entire bicycle..well worth it.Solid as a rock..

A hub adaptor would be your best bet. 12 gauge stainless steel quality spokes installed in a cross 4 pattern on a 36 hole minimum double walled rim might work also.

All great advice so far. A hub adapter on a STEEL rim with at least 12 guage spokes. The Rag Joint works OK but it can loosen spokes, I'll never use a rag joint on any my personal bikes again.buT Most customers wont put out the $50 To $80 extra for a hub adapter. So I have no choice but to use Rag joints on customer builds.
IT'S YOUR BIKE, BUILD IT YOUR WAY.
Big Red.

If you want to go all out, use a hub from a Puch or Motobecane moped, lace it with 10g spokes to a double wall rim. Your get much improved brakes in the process. Rusty moped wheels can often be found for affordable prices. You wouldn't be using the spokes or 17" or 19" rim anyway. The moped wheels have a bicycle freewheel on the right, and a fixed sprocket on the right. Different size sprockets are available.

I bought a hub adapter after I found my spokes loose. I took off the rag joint sprocket that came with the engine kit I noticed that I had 6 broken spokes.

Hi Loosenut,
What "mopeds" have a freewheel on the right? I have an PUCH Allstate Moped (has pedals) it has no freewheel on the right. But, of course, it's a '62. Not flaming, just learning.
Yes, those moped wheels are on Ebay, both front and rear. I was looking at adapting them to my Hiawatha frame together with the moped suspension fork, as well.

Back