Rebirth of and old 1948 VAP.4

Hi!

I wanted to share my build of a real old school motored bike!

I'm currently rebuilding an antique VAP.4 from 1948! 64 years old engine, 40 years older than me :eek: !

DSC09489.jpg

This kind of engine was common after WorldWar2 in France, it was the cheapest way to go to work without pedaling or walking.
VAP was one for the 50+ builders of the time, but one of the biggest, and one of the oldest! The VAP4 started in 1948 (I have the #662) and have been one of the best selling engine. It was used in an improved version in mopeds and the VeloVap concurenced the VeloSolex a short while after.

But enough history, what about this particular engine!
It's a 48cc, 2 stroke, 40mm bore / 38mm stroke, 1.2 HP engine, with a manual clutch (made of cork i belive!) and a chain final drive.
The engine is mounted on the rear wheel with a custom nut, so it hangs on the side of the bike.

Here is an old ad:
pub_VAP4.jpg

Mine was missing the tank, the chain and sprocket, the special clutch handle.
I brought an old bike of the 50's to mount it on, and I had a fantastic new project for the winter!

For the fuel tank, I found a bike with a "Mosquito" tank (another engine kit from the 50's). To make the sprocket I used an old Crankset, and adapted it on the brake drum.

Here it is after a bit of work :
DSC09773.jpg

DSC09774.jpg

DSC09782.jpg

After a complete engine cleanup, a lot of spare parts, and a lot of evening work, it runs and drives!

It does about 40km/h at full throttle, it has no power at low RPM, a slippy clutch, and a faulty carburetor, but its is great and I'm really happy with it!

vap420121209.jpg

I ordered another carburetor to fix the major issue: it is too lean, and I can't find a bigger jet... So I will change the whole carburetor...
If it doesn't fix the problem, I will probably build an adjustable jet...

A bit of explanation on my motivations to build this bike, and the problems I'm facing!

I've got about 6 other motored bikes at home, all great, but this one will rise above all others: it will be street legal!
Here in France, despite the great history of mopeds and other motorized bikes as the VeloSolex you might have heard about, there is no way to be street legal on a bike/motorbike/car/whatsoever you build or modify yourself. The law is stupid, and more frustrating, even if you stick to the law, there is now way of being inspected to have papers... So all my bikes are just used on small roads, hopping I will not meet the police, and won't have an accident.

But the VAP4 was a registered bicycle engine! So I can have papers for it, an insurance, and I will be able to use it to go to work! My dream for years now!
More important, it is a custom built bike, not a "standard" moped (witch you can't legally modify...) and it will still be legal!

The problems I'm facing are quite complex!
First the papers, even if it is legal, archives from 1948 have burnt in the past, and having papers is a bit more complex than my expectations... I'm working hard on this point!

Second problem, insurance! When I tell them I'm only 24 years old, and I'm riding a 1948 bike, they just don't want to see me... But once I will have papers, it will be easier!

And third problem: stupid people! I don't know why but here, custom built stuff is not always seen as a good stuff. So I'm facing people telling me I don't understand anything, that putting a new speedo is a nonsense, that drilling a hole in an old bike is a crime, and that I may just go back to chainsaw engines... This is not a big problem in first place, because I just don't listen to stupid people, but if I ever got an accident, I will have to be credible with the policemen and the insurance experts on my 1948 bike...

I will make a full video in English showing you how this engine is built and how it works and drives!

Bye.

Hi,

I've got my "Grey card" (Title or Registration document in US/UK) for my VAP!
It's been a bit hard to prove that this bike is legal... but I finally succeded! For the first time im my life, I'm part street legal (I've got no insurance for the moment... It's a bit hard too...)

I've added new stuff on the bike since my first post:
2 generators for lights
A rear light and a registration plate holder.
The original chain tentioner
And other little but useful stuff...

Here are some pictures taken this afternoon:

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00043.jpg

Bye.

Hi Ludwig,

I can see that you're following my blog :)

The photos I took last wednesday are great, but It really needs a lot of cosmetic work to be truly beautiful.

Today I reached my speedo top speed in a little downhill (a bridge over the railway, there is no hill here!) 60km/h. It's working better and better each time I use it!

Hi Poupoudoum, I've seen it's been a few years since you posted on this site, but I hope you will see this. I recently picked up a Vap 3 motor on eBay and came across your youtube videos for your Vap 4. I really enjoyed watching your videos and although I speak no French it was clear to me how passionate and excited you were about your bike! I've built 2 Whizzer motorbikes and have a newer reproduction one. The original whizzers are from the same era as the Vap.
This build is going to be very difficult as I am missing some key drivetrain components. As I'm sure you know the vap3 does not have a clutch, but rather a drive pinion gear and gear type chainring. I'm hoping that someone seeing this may have some info on Vap parts. There is very little on eBay and almost all of that is literature in French.
Anyone who has any info on parts can IM me on this site. I'm putting a picture that has the main parts I'm looking for. The small drive pinion gear in the bottom middle of the motor and the large ring on the rim.
I also have a few pics of the motor temporary mounted on a 1950's Schwinn. Once I have the parts I need I can concentrate on getting a vintage European bike to eventually mount this on. Thanks

Attachments

• moteur auxiliaire 2.jpg
    moteur auxiliaire 2.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 409
  • $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 398
  • 20150808_223043.jpg
    20150808_223043.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 418
  • 20150810_025336.jpg
    20150810_025336.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 375
  • 20150810_025352.jpg
    20150810_025352.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 20150810_025939.jpg
    20150810_025939.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 412
Hi lillback44 !

Great look this VAP3 on this bike !!!

I was also missing some of the parts on my VAP4 but as it is a chain drive I was able to adapt a chain a gear.

Even in france it's really hard to come by parts for a VAP3. I've only seen an incomplete engine one time.
The guy to contact about these engines is "Guy" : http://mosquito.c.la/ - lapassiondesmoteursauxiliaires@orange.fr
I don't know if he speaks english but I think he might be able to help you.

see you !

Hi

I am hoping you can help me. I have a VAP 4 engine. The needle on the the throttle piston in the carburetor is missing. Can anybody help me with the specifications of this needle to have a new one made or which other carburetor will be compatible with the engine as a replacement.

Regards

Eben

Hi Thanks for replying

I think it is a Zenith, I will check tonight and confirm tomorrow.

Regards

Eben

Back