Rebuild and break in

R

revalation2019

So I'm wandering if you need to break in a piston and jug after rebuild

My take on the "break in" with limited experience. If you run thick mix with stock jet, muffler, air filter then you're going to run it for hundreds miles like this? Like dog crap. So for break in I would use a good brand at 32:1 and keep it under 25 and gradually go on longer trips. It shouldn't take hundreds of miles to get a good seat on the rings. Just keep an eye on the sparkplug and try to get it chocolate brown color. If running stock muffler maybe uncap it every couple of rides.

Im in the same boat. Just had to replace the piston, and cylinder, and now i have to seat the rings in again. Im running 4 OZ synthetic 2 stroke oil, 1 OZ of MMO per gallon of gas. So thats about 29:1? No smoke, and runs well, and when i took it apart at 220 miles, was well lubricated, with no wear in cylinder, or carbon build up on piston. My take on break in is, vary the speed, no long wot runs but ever so often is good, run a slightly heavy oil mix, but no need for 16:1., dont rev it too the moon while going down hill, and remember to have fun!

Get a sleeved cylinder then get namura rings for the piston,
then run @ 4oz Valvoline 2 stroke oil (just what i use and how i do it)
for a tank or two then i just ride it like i stole it lol

breaking in the rings doesn't take as long as breaking in the whole engine. when the engine is new, you need to heat stress it and get the bearings covered in oil and set in as well. just replacing a jug, you should be good to roll on long time runs by the end of the first tank at your regular oil ratio.

Back