Rebuild Old Bike

richard jewett

Local time
1:32 PM
First post on the site. I started this process with a "Chitlin" bike I bought at a yard sale for $20. A little research leads me to believe that it is a typical huffy beach cruiser clone.
I bought a 66-80 kit from amazon....a paneltech??
Anyway, got through the assembly phase, upgraded all fasteners etc. and the bike is a blast to drive around on. If I continue to enjoy it for the rest of the summer I'm thinking of getting a little deeper into the hobby.
My questions for starters, is whether the frame of the bike is good enough to invest money in higher quality wheels with better bearings etc, or would I be ahead of the game to just buy a higher quality bike complete and swap my engine over and go from there?
I suspect that the hubs, rims, spokes, and especially bearings on the original bike are not of high quality

Thanks

Maybe look @ the Micargi site. They make a lot of beach cruzer frame bikes but for wheels & rims only, check w/ MBRebel site. They got the Goods. Board track 12 ga. spoke and such.

Last edited by a moderator:
This my Micargi Falcon GT From BicycleMotorWorks (BMW) Lots of upgrades. Will load a pic of this build w/wheels from MBRebel w/ Strumey Archer drum front brakes.

Attachments

• DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    278.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited by a moderator:
This my Micargi Falcon GT From BicycleMotorWorks (BMW) Lots of upgrades. Will load a pic of this build w/wheels from MBRebel w/ Strumey Archer drum front brakes.

Can I ask where you got your saddle bags at? I've been looking for that type with no luck.
Thanks

They were given to me from a dude who parted out a BMW last year. They were bought somewhere here in Ohio I think. REAL PHAT leather.

Back