Engine Trouble Rebuild Project help

Local time
3:07 AM
Alright so I am currently working on restoring an old 1979 KE100. So, before i start buying new parts to replace the rusted old ones, i want to see if there are any trouble shooting i can do to see where i should start taking the crankcase apart and replacing things.... so the bike starts perfectly fine and i can keep it running as long as i throttle feed it gas in neutral but it will not idle for more than a second or start running in first. The gas tank is thoroughly rusted and the single cylinder and head is covered in rust. I am not sure if something might be wrong with the needle valve or if the rust in the fuel tank is causing trouble with the orifice tube/fuel valve. I also cant find the idle screw if there is one. but I am pretty sure that is not the problem. please help!

Last edited:
It's probably gas gum in the carb- pull the carb, take off the float bowl and any top cap, pull out the innards and soak it all in a pan of carb cleaner. After a good soak use an airhose and chuck with a needle to blow out the passageways, especially the idle circuit and main jet.
Try running with a clean gas tank rigged up with a clean fuel line for a test. That old tank will need cleaned and creamed, new filter and line.
Just guessin but I've seen many bikes that sat too long with gas in them do this.

Back