Rebuilding the China engine

E

Edward

Anyone have a source for the small stuff like side crank bearings. I'm working on replacing the lower end bearing with a solid babbit bearing. I've used a 70's craftsman 7/8 deep well socket cut to size for a new crank pin. Disassembly of one of these motors is a straightforward job needing only 2 specialty tools, one being the gearpuller included with the kit and a hammer/screwdriver. Pulling the side bearings off the crank is looking to require a small gear puller. Eventually some aftermarket replacement parts will need to be found to keep these things alive.

Edward,

the site is new, don't know if all the bells and whistles worked, whether you got my personal message, if not, will repeat.....

It appears there are plenty of guys with this info, contact TWalker, Cookie, itzbenz or ringal, they probably could answer your questions.

Me, I know less about engines than I do about bikes, I'm only along for the ride.

It seems like some of the other guys should know, but I personally don't. I will probably have to figure that out at some point or another once my engine needs a rebuilld...

The side bearings are made by SKF which is a mega international corporation. They are stamped France 6202-27/C2ELHT25. Now to find a retail source. The craftsmanship on these really contrasts with the rest of the motor.
I look forward to getting these and testing this modification out.

Might be this one:
vv.bearings.20mmfronthubouter_LRG.jpg

Its a Vespa bearing from the americanscootercenter

The correct number may be 6202-2Z its written very small, the 6202-2RS is a double sealed version by Access Bearings, Inc. The moto mud guys seem to swear by double sealed bearings.

6202 Bearings

The 6202 bearing is a common bearing used in industry in small electric motors and easy to get hold of........ You can get the open no seals, screened with metal shields or sealed and greased for life...... When it comes time to change mine I would be using a sealed bearing and be removing the shield from one side of the bearing and having the bearing open to the crankcase so it is lubricated.... Leaving the screen on the other side gives you additional protection and acts as a backup shaft seal... I would stay away for bearings that use race cages with turned over metal tabs as shown in the picture as these tabs can snap off due to vibration and go through your engine damaging piston and liner.... The safer ones to use are rivited cages but they will have less balls in the bearing but still give good performance...... If the bearing is a tight fit on the shaft and in the case use a bearing with a C3 clearance....
Regards Al

The caged bearing is the factory bearing on the Gru-Bee. I'll pick the seal off the inside face.

Well in the rush to get it together in the small amount of free time I have, I forgot to pick the inner seals off, so we'll see how it works out. The engine is quite tight, as in difficult to rotate. I'm turning it with a 14mm socket on the crankshaft and its starting to loosen up. I'm dousing it in 2 stroke oil quite often to help matters.

Back