Rebuilt engine today

INTP_ty

Local time
9:14 AM
So today I replaced a bad piston. I melted my last one from not using enough oil. Anyway, I replaced the crankshaft gasket (Idk, the one for the bottom end) & replaced the hardware with some cool stainless stuff. Anyways, I had it all ripped apart.

I can't get it running again.

Browsing on here, I just figured out that the magneto needed to be at the 1 o clock position with the piston up all the way. Did not know that & I'm pretty sure I installed it at the 6 o clock position cuz if I remember, the dang key kept falling.

Idk if timing would prevent my engine to FIRE. IT WILL NOT FIRE by the way.

Anyone know where else I might have screwed up/missed out on something? I'm going to bed & am gonna try first thing in the morning. ...I literally stripped it all to pieces

Melted piston sounds more like too much air in the a/f mix rather than too little oil, though you can have both.
Still, I would like to know what the cylinder looks like, and what the compression test shows?
Bearings could be damaged too.
Intake gasket could be damaged, has it been replaced? I read that the intake gasket can't be reused if you disassemble after getting the engine hot.
Aluminium head gaskets aren't reusable either. Which is why I am using the twisted Teflon tape gasket- much cheaper to replace.

A magnet installed backwards would have the keyway at 11 when piston is at TDC. 6 is impossible!

Idk if timing would prevent my engine to FIRE. IT WILL NOT FIRE by the way.

do you mean spark or start?

it should spark OK.but at wrong time so it will not start

Back