Reccomendation for 1st time friction

Is the roller concave to conform to the shape of the tire or are they flat which would provide poor surface contact without increasing pressure against the tire? $400 for a complete kit on that eBay deal doesn't sound bad either.

Last edited:
Best value for the buck, the staton kits are bomb proof you will be amazed by the quality and ease of operation, living in a dry climate los angeles friction should not be a problem, as wet roads on the other hand could lead to slippage. The rollers they are flat, concave would be a nightmare messing around with tire pressure. Contact surface is not a problem, you just lock the wheel down at whatever pressure you are comfortable with, this is someting you will get used do doing over time.

I have just fitted up a slightly used staton kit fitted out with the mits 43cc engine and a 1.25 roller.

I have yet to find out my speed as my speedo is useless, cruising i estimate 25 top speed 30, i weigh around 175 lbs. I might go for a slighty bigger roller, but the bigger the roller the more top speed, but the less hill climbing..bottom end torque..

engine wise 4 stroke clean and simple and quieter, 2 stroke oil mixing is required, noisey but plenty of raw power, once you hit the throttle,.... bye...

NONE of these engine are quiet unless you do some major retros to the stock exhausts, some just sound less noisey than others.

Last edited:
IMO a flat knurled hardened steel roller works best. Tension is set at about 1/8" tire deflection, enough that when holding the bike & going WOT, nothing slips but the clutch.

Depends on the engine, both the Robin 4 stroke and Mitsubishi 2 stroke are very acceptable. Tanaka is reported to be somewhat loud. Chinese knockoff, roll of the dice.

4-stroke -- much more pleasant to the ear

Yeah, that's a good point. How noisy are those engines?

many of the 2-strokes -- scream like a cat being ran over
you have heard many while working in their yards with weed wackers...

4-strokes -- much more pleasant to the ear
but - still noticed slighty by the pooolice and others

ride that thing

ok, go ahead my friend, get yourself the robin 35cc, along with the friction drive and you will off for the hills, theres not much more you can find out about these rigs and with the $400 budget the staton will fit perfectly, the only major concern is the size of roller but click on the link below and the thread should be able to help you choose the right one. 35 mph should easily be in you grasp considering how light you are although i dont think your bike would like it too much.....

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=13607

All you have to do now is hit the buy button and happy motoring.......

goodluck vegas

Last edited:
I got a 2 stroke becuase >>>> Changing the oil every 10 hours using a turkey baster just seemed like a pain in the @#$.
With the 2 stroke every tank full is clean oil for the engine.

What?...every ten hours...you've got to be kidding me. I can guarantee you that I'll never do it that often and especially if the engine doesn't have a drain plug.

Back