Received new hubs

Rusty_S85

Local time
10:54 AM
I got my new Grubee 61mm HD axle hubs in yesterday. How ever the paper diagram included in the box says single speed hd axle for 135mm frames.

Over on bicycle engines it has a diagram showing the 61mm HD axle is for single speed 150 frames and the 51mm hub is for multi speed 150mm frames and single speed 135mm frames.

I contacted Don last night and he said it can be made to work on a 150mm frame but will require spacers.

Now i am kind of upset that the guy who sells 150mm drop out frame variants dont even have a axle designed to fit his 150mm frames without spacers.

Im also not sure now if i can even make this work on my frame as i cant find anything online on this. Everyone says you cant run a 135mm style drop out on a 150mm frame. All i need to know if i run spacers if everything will line out but it probably wont.

So now im going to probably have to find a rear single speed 150mm hub which i havent found one yet that can accept disc brakes and have room for mounting a drive sprocket.

Well during my lunch I assembled the hub loosely I don't know but I think I can adjust the adapters out and use lock tite to lock the adapters to the hubs and I can adjust the sprocket and disc brake to be proper. Thing is it calls for 13mm space between rotor and bike frame but I am thinking if the only difference is the drop out on this frame and the rest is the same as the 135mm drop out version then this hub centered should have perfect alignment for the chains but the disc brake rotor I am not fully sure. I could always use locktite and try to have the rotor adapter threaded out some which might not be safe if I don't shim it. Or I could shim the mount for the caliper to move the caliper in to fit the rotor. I think this would be safer.

Last edited:
There are rotor spacers which will be best if you only need to shift it over a little bit. Maybe you can make up the rest with the caliper mount then it's at least less. Obviously it always affects flex when you build anything off the caliper mount and can be dangerous.

Ive been doing math right now and to center this hub i need to add 17mm worth of spacers on each side of the axle. Paperwork says 1/2" space between the rotor and the frame. So without acounting for rotor thickness the face of my rotor mount out to where the frame dropouts will be sitting at is 15.60mm away. So if the rotor is 1mm that puts me roughly 1mm away from 1/2" between the frame and the rotor. If need be i could add a shim to the rotor and move the rotor out.

But this is all by math and not on the bike actual measurements.

Right now im looking at 3/8" axle spacers think a 10mm, 5mm, and 2mm for each side would allow for adjustment if i need to shift the wheel for better alignment.

Yep. It looks like i can make this work ling as my theory of the chains being aligned with the hub centered in the dropout.

I just got home and looked at my new wheels I am amazed at how much beefier this 61mm HD axle is than the coaster brake rear axle that comes standard on this wheel.

Not sure but hopefully I can work a trade out at the bicycle shop. If the spokes have to be changed maybe I can convince them to swap my spokes for the correct ones as I don't need the spokes and they could still sell them.

If not me paying just $50 to assemble the rear wheel and maybe another $20 or $40 isn't too bad to get it done right. Aside from that before I swing by the bike shop tomorrow I think I am going to test fit my front wheel on my fork to ensure it will fit before I go paying them to true the front wheel or at least check it.

Back