Engine Trouble Recently Rebuilt engine won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right the head could be messed up, Although I did try running it with the head from my engine and it still didn't work. Might be both heads are warped, or might be that I used a crappy head gasket when I tried running it with my engine.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about these engines, but you're right I am just a beginner. I guess I fell victim to the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I'll pick up a torque wrench while I wait for the new crankshaft.

Do you think I should go ahead and sand the head and the jug to make sure they are flat or wait to try it with a torque wrench first?

Please get a torque wrench, you'll be a savior to any of your friends who own one of these.

I didn't ask you if you were worried, I've been less worried about problems that ended up backfiring on me just because I decided not to worry about it. I doubt you are immune to this form of self harm.

You can experiment with his bike, it's currently non-functional, if you are taking it apart anyway (because you may have messed up the crankshaft by sanding it, which is something you didn't worry about when you were assembling somebody else's motor at one point in time) you can hold off on the last seal, without the magneto installed it won't try to run anyway.

Or don't, it's not even an experiment just a verification of data, but I almost doubt that a hair smaller shaft would lead to the kind of leak crassius sees with a popped seal, so it's a toss-up, for you I'm just leaning on a crapped head, mind you that you only used it a bit (assumingly) while it was in a running state and then handed it to him, he may have abused it or might not even know what 'running good' actually is for these motors, after all he's having you work on it even though you seem to be of a somewhat beginner to these motors in terms of troubleshooting, why else would you really need to ask us anything otherwise.

Anyway good luck, let us know what is going on while it comes together, all data is useful to anyone who comes by later looking for help.
I think you should check the head with the method shown in reply #20. If the outer corners are pulled down beyond the crush ring you will have to sand to much off the head possibly causing to small a squish gap. If this is the case I would suggest a new head, and even more strongly suggest a after market head as they don't warp and can be used on engine after engine.

You're right the head could be messed up, Although I did try running it with the head from my engine and it still didn't work. Might be both heads are warped, or might be that I used a crappy head gasket when I tried running it with my engine.

I like to think I'm pretty knowledgeable about these engines, but you're right I am just a beginner. I guess I fell victim to the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I'll pick up a torque wrench while I wait for the new crankshaft.

Do you think I should go ahead and sand the head and the jug to make sure they are flat or wait to try it with a torque wrench first?
Reply # 82 above to Frankenstein was meant to be here. It's been a long day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back