Recommendation for larger user.

A

ahansen77

I've been reading up through the forums and have got a lot of information but still not sure exactly what would fit my needs the best. I am a BIG guy (6'6" 375 lbs), I like 4 strokes and am leaning towards a rack mount like this but not sure if this is the best choice for me:
http://www.bikeengines.com/robin35info.htm
My questions is; does anyone sell a complete bike w/ this engine setup? I'm not much of a DIY'er and would like to get a bike fully assembled/tested. Keep in mind, I will not be riding in bad weather. I'd like something that's easy to start, not obnoxiously loud and requires minimal maintenance/tinkering. Faster is better but I'm not expecting much speed due to my current weight....20-25mph would be fine. Thanks for your help!

-Adam

My friend, you have to buy a 4 stroke for sure. 2 Strokes are not reliable. Like you wrote you're a BIG guy (6'6" 375 lbs) and 35 cc might be to small for you. Everything depends how you want to ride: defensive or offensive? Pedal-assisted or just buzz around?

The more important for you is: How strong you have bike? If you are heavy you need toughing rims and good frame. Strong brakes.

I think myself to switch to motorbikes. Bike (15 KG) + man (70 KG) + engine (15KG) = lot of to resist on frame and rims.

You will replace wheels for stronger and you will never have trust to construction and this will be half price of motorbike.

One season for a fun - but maybe 4 stroke are more reliable than 2 strokes. Your choice, your Life.

Staton-INC

http://www.staton-inc.com

I know they don't have complete bikes but I"m guessing that for some one your size this is the company you need to be dealing with for a motor and drive kit. I would recommend you look at a bike along the lines of a Big Guy Cruiser. http://www.bikemania.biz/Greenline_Bicycle_Big_Guy_Cruiser_p/green_bc-110_m.htmThis is a bike made for someone like yourself its heavy (almost 60lbs) but with your height and weight its what you need. Look at the specs and you will see that everything about it is Heavy Duty. If you really don't feel that you are up to installing the kit your self, you might want to check with the local Lawnmower repair service and have them install the kit for you. As for the options available from Staton I think that what you ought to be looking at is their kit using the Honda GXH50 4-stroke. Call and talk with Dave Staton
I'm sure he has something that will work for you.

ocscully

Last edited:
:cool:Adam, i would also recommend STATON engine setups, either friction drives or gear and chain. because neither setup drives off the bicycle spokes, you should not have breakage problems in that area.

i believe your best bet would be to shop carefully and locally. try out many of them at the bike shops. you're taking a big gamble that the bike you buy online will fit your massive frame.

i believe you should find a bike that fits your size, then motorize it.

one engine stands out, in my opinion. MITSUBISHI 2.2hp 43cc 2-stroke engine. this fairly quiet, medium-sized lightweight engine will push you faster and quicker than you would want to safely travel. with friction drive or gear chain drive, i believe this would be the optimum setup.

now ya just have to find the bike that fits you.

if you're not a DIY'er now, you'll either be one or you better find someone to maintain/repair your bike. a small engine repair shop would probably be a good place to patronize.

Myron

Cna you live with a trike? Your height is a problem, but the weight is even moreso.

There's not really a lot of bikes around that are built for someone nearly 400 lbs. The Greenline one looks like it might be large enough with a 23" frame, but the 12G wheels are inferior to the Worksman 11G wheels. The Worksmans only go up to 20" frames however, and that's going to be too short for you.

If you could live with a delta trike (two wheels in back) for a while, then the Worksmans don't cost a lot and would work.
~

I'd start with a heavy Worksman single speed, NJ is NOT that hilly.

Step thru frame, 10 gauge spokes, maybe splurge for the best saddle.

If you had the type with the big basket on front, you could use it more and more for chores, which combines more gas savings with more frequent exercise.

http://www.worksman.com/industrialbikes.html

If you are doing this for exercise, like the 280 pounder I set up 2 weeks ago, once you hit a target (his is 225), you can switch equipment, sell the old system and change over to another.

Cna you live with a trike? Your height is a problem, but the weight is even moreso.

There's not really a lot of bikes around that are built for someone nearly 400 lbs. The Greenline one looks like it might be large enough with a 23" frame, but the 12G wheels are inferior to the Worksman 11G wheels. The Worksmans only go up to 20" frames however, and that's going to be too short for you.

If you could live with a delta trike (two wheels in back) for a while, then the Worksmans don't cost a lot and would work.
~

Jack took an old Worksman step thru-single speed, swapped out the handlebars and seat post, fit it to a 6' 4" rider pretty easily.

The Sun Comfort Rover also fit my own 6'4" neighbor comfortably, but that is what I meant by swapping equipment when a target is reached.

Well I am 6'2", and I know that I take about a 23" MTB frame normally.

I bought a Worksman with their large 20" frame, and it was not useful to me--the handlebars felt like they were in my lap. A 20" bike frame isn't really all that large--now a 24" is pretty big, too big for most people. That four inches (measured seat tube) makies a BIG difference in the distances between handlebars, seat and pedals. A large person will be "cramped" on a small frame, if they're pedaling or not.

What I'd suggest someone like this (searching for a bike to buy) can do for free is go to any bigger bike shop, and try just sitting on some examples of the different frame sizes, just to see what size you need.
~

Thank you all for your input, looks like I've got a starting point now. Yes, I am doing this for exercise. I won't be at this weight for long because I'm getting weightloss surgery in January and expect to be nearly half my current weight by this time next year. I have a bad leg and back from an accident and haven't exercised much in the past 5 yrs so the last thing I want to do is get caught a few miles from home either out of energy or in pain. It would be nice to be able to fire up the engine and just cruise home.
A trike is something to consider, though I'd be concerned about the width because in my area there are very narrow shoulders.
I'll keep researching and come back if I have any more questions.

Oh, before I go, are there any engine kits or websites with a bad rep that I should stay away from....and any that are highly recommended other than the ones already mentioned?

Thanks again!

-Adam

Back