Recommended amperage for arc-ing muffler back together?

Local time
5:00 AM
Hey what amperage do you recommend for arcing the flange back to the exhaust pipe?

Plan on using 7034 weld stick...

I talked with a welder guy last night and he claimed that the reason why our cheap exhaust break so easily is due to improper penetration.

At this point I feel welding mine and prepping to mount the Briggs is better once I hear from the eBay mount plate seller.
In regards to that if not mounting right away,

Have to pump up the LA jolla cruiser for sale
IMAG0266.jpg

Uhm, where are the brakes?
In the wheel lol not my problem this will be a by far cheap build.

BTW don't laugh at my stick weld
IMAG0270.jpg

I think it will hold up and my problem was with the initial start up now I got it.

After that if I make a lower case L It's easier to give arc to start.

After I took out a dremel and ground the access down for the most part I should work on feeding

Hahaha Ha - oh sorry.

You got it sort of right, maybe use a lower amperage, it will be harder to start but will look a bit better. You should cut the rod in half before starting, it makes controlling the rod easier, especially if you are only using one hand! I don't know if you have welding gloves but if you do don't be afraid to use the other hand to help steady the arc, welding involves a certain level of comfort and part of that is just being able to keep a nice bead without getting frustrated. I've had days where I gave up trying a weld just because I couldn't get a good angle that worked comfortably. Sucks when you have to weld something too above, away, or below the level of your face. That's why they have big metal tables you can weld on and sit in front of on a chair.

I have a feeling if you are welding in a stinky and fenced in box alongside a dumpster in the middle of the night then you are probably not feeling very comfortable, this is where cinder blocks and milk crates come in... Do it right and you'll have a pretty looking weld. Maybe practice first too on something else (not a dumpster.)

Hahaha Ha - oh sorry.

You got it sort of right, maybe use a lower amperage, it will be harder to start but will look a bit better. You should cut the rod in half before starting, it makes controlling the rod easier, especially if you are only using one hand! I don't know if you have welding gloves but if you do don't be afraid to use the other hand to help steady the arc, welding involves a certain level of comfort and part of that is just being able to keep a nice bead without getting frustrated. I've had days where I gave up trying a weld just because I couldn't get a good angle that worked comfortably. Sucks when you have to weld something too above, away, or below the level of your face. That's why they have big metal tables you can weld on and sit in front of on a chair.

I have a feeling if you are welding in a stinky and fenced in box alongside a dumpster in the middle of the night then you are probably not feeling very comfortable, this is where cinder blocks and milk crates come in... Do it right and you'll have a pretty looking weld. Maybe practice first too on something else (not a dumpster.)

I ended up having to do it in the parking lot in dang near a praying position, I feel I arc better with a shorter rod cause at full length the slightest shake reflects at the tip of the rod at pencil length however I do pretty well.

At least it won't leak no more huahhhhaha I would have been more comfortable at a table and as far as arc goes I noticed in my second mask the non free one that auto darkens I can actually see the weld as I lose space from the rod, wouldn't preheating the rod make arcing easier it was actually genially snowing when I was welding.

Last but not least I feel that since my first consistent spark was on sheet steel then I jumped to the muffler it went well I took and filed down the access with a dremel.

There's one small peace that has to be knocked off but it's not apart of the weld you can see it slightly blocking a exhaust bolt hole.

A piece of molten slag that fell off the stick.

Back