Recommended sprocket size for a 4 stroke.

BilalCarroll

Local time
6:28 AM
Should i get a smaller sprocket (36-32 tooth) for my 4 stroke motorized bicycle kit since they tend to have a lower top speed than a 2 stroke and how much of a torque loss should i expect from going from a 44t to a 36-32t sprocket.

It all depends on your transfer case....if you have the cheesy 3:1 transfer case i don't advise it if you touch anything not flat or downhill, plus the clutch slips at any speed under 18mph. I honestly don't advise doing anything under 15:1 total reduction for clutch longevity.

Throw away the transfer case, all the mounting nuts and bolts. Get a 4g grubee and replace all the hardware with 8.8 stainless from the hardware store. Then hope nothing is wrong with the engine. If all is well should be good.

You ought to concider a 58T or 63T for your rear sprocket, since the weak link in a 4 stroke drive train is the torque converter. You will loose speed but gain in hill climbing ability, plus and easier power assisted start. If you want to go fast then expect a lot of peddaling if you use a 44T or lower sprocket.

I run a 53cc Huasheng with a 4g "b" drive....10 tooth freewheel to a 44 tooth rear. I am 240 lbs and pedal to about 12 km/h (7mph) to avoid over working the clutch off the start, though it will move me from a dead stop. My cruiser tops out at around 44 km/h (27 mph), but cruises me around and up most hills at 3/4 throttle at 35 km/h (22 mph). Plenty fast for my beach cruiser bike in my opinion. I enjoy my 4g setup....and am glad I did my research on forums like these before I bought my kit.

Lol I run the exact same engine/tc/gear ratio combo. Loving it in mountain foothills. Been running no pedals for about a half year now. The upgraded clutch from staton Inc works wonders.

You ought to concider a 58T or 63T for your rear sprocket, since the weak link in a 4 stroke drive train is the torque converter. You will loose speed but gain in hill climbing ability, plus and easier power assisted start. If you want to go fast then expect a lot of peddaling if you use a 44T or lower sprocket.
I run a 53cc Huasheng with a 4g "b" drive....10 tooth freewheel to a 44 tooth rear. I am 240 lbs and pedal to about 12 km/h (7mph) to avoid over working the clutch off the start, though it will move me from a dead stop. My cruiser tops out at around 44 km/h (27 mph), but cruises me around and up most hills at 3/4 throttle at 35 km/h (22 mph). Plenty fast for my beach cruiser bike in my opinion. I enjoy my 4g setup....and am glad I did my research on forums like these before I bought my kit.

Is it that important to pedal from a dead stop for a 4g kit? Especially with a 36t sprocket? I've been thinking about getting one for a while solely for the purpose of not pedaling from a stop like I do for my China girl.

Is it that important to pedal from a dead stop for a 4g kit? Especially with a 36t sprocket? I've been thinking about getting one for a while solely for the purpose of not pedaling from a stop like I do for my China girl.
If you you use the 4g 1b with the 9 tooth output to your 36t rear you should have no issue going from a stop unless climbing a mountain.

Back