Reducing clutch clatter

mifletz

Local time
6:04 AM
Is there anything that can be done to reduce the clattering noise when accelerating away from the clutch of a Staton unit attached to a Robin?

Does the clutch ever need need servicing, adjusting or replacing?

Has it always chattered? I haven't tried the Robin but the 76mm clutches on my TLE43 and R460 are quiet and smooth. Could be a weak clutch spring or possibly oil contamination on the drum.

The Staton leaflet says: "There may be a clutch noise when the clutch rotor engages the clutch drum. As you increase your speed the noise will stop. The clutch engaging noise is normal....the larger the drive roller you have the longer the clutch noise will sound."

Is there anything that can be done to reduce the clattering noise when accelerating away from the clutch of a Staton unit attached to a Robin?

Does the clutch ever need need servicing, adjusting or replacing?

Servicing/adjusting, not really. Replacement when necessary but we're talking a lot of miles.

Some Eho35s/Staton FDs seem to chatter more that others but most all of that goes away with a short break-in.

My Subaru clutch chattered some.

Both my TLE43 engines chatter a LOT!

My GP460 clutch and pocketbike clutch are as smooth as velvet.

What exactly is the cause of the clutch clatter which occurs at certain revs, and can anything be done about it?

DCP_0008.JPG

Last edited:
You might want to check the engine mounting. The engine spacer, that fits over the clutch, between the engine and drive housing, should be centered on the left side drive roller bearing shoulder. The bearing snap ring should be on the outside of the housing and sits in a milled recess that allows the spacer to sit flush with the housing. If the spacer isn't flush to the housing, you could be getting an alignment problem.

The alignment issue Kerf mentions is an excellent point so by all means follow-up on that. As well, you could check that the 4 engine mounting studs are torqued down evenly and the spindle spins freely while the clutch is disengaged.

That said however, my guess is that the chatter you're hearing is simply a break-in issue quite common to these set-ups and really nothing to worry about.

Back