Reducing HorsePower? (Try not to point and/or LOL)

Discussion in '4-Stroke Engines' started by YoungChaos, Feb 3, 2015.

  1. YoungChaos

    YoungChaos New Member

    Okay, So I don't know if this is a common question or not but how can I reduce the 2.5 HP to a measly 1 bHP (Honestly I'm pretty ticked off) Here is Ohio MoPed Laws.

    The Ohio Revised Code defines a moped, or motorized bicycle, as any vehicle with two tandem wheels or one front and two rear wheels which is capable of being pedaled and is also equipped with a helper motor. The helper motor may not:

    • [*=center] Have a piston displacement of more than 50 cubic centimeters;
      [*=center]Produce more than one brake horsepower; and
      [*=center]Propel the vehicle at a maximum speed greater than 20 mph on a level surface.

    If a vehicle exceeds any one of these criteria, it is legally a motorcycle. Be certain BEFORE you buy. Contact your local deputy registrar or the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles, Registration Section, P.O. Box 16520, Columbus, Ohio 43216-6520, (614) 752-7800 or (800) 589-TAGS (8247), if you have questions. See reverse side for the list of vehicles that may legally be operated as “mopeds” in Ohio.

    So, basically it is saying if your motor driven bicycle is: higher than 50cc (HuaSheng: Passes), has more than 1.013 HP (HuaSheng: Fails), or goes faster than 20 mph (HauSheng: Fails); then your Motorized bike is (According to Ohio State Law) a motorcycle. With it being considered a motorcycle I cannot ride it to school legally. My class D license are suspended. I cannot obtain a motorcycle license, nor can I insure the "motorcycle." What bull:poop:! So, I'm hoping to find a alternate solution to paying 50+ dollars in shipping to send the kit back. Anyone? Any Ideas? I'm all ears. Plus I figured the reduce horsepower may even prolong the motors life though it could have the opposite effect for all I know. I'm not a Mechanical Engineer. I've heard of Resistor Plates/ Air Resistors which are plates that limit airflow to the intake; resulting in reduced/limited Horsepower and Speed.

  2. dougsr.874

    dougsr.874 Active Member

    How is a cop on the side of the road going to know what horsepower an engine is? It's whatever hp you say it is...
  3. YoungChaos

    YoungChaos New Member

    You have to have some bull:poop: laminated card to operate a moped in Ohio.
  4. butre

    butre Well-Known Member

    restrictor plate or throttle stop is the only way to do it. which one is easier to implement depends on what tools you have.

    or do what most people are doing and lie about how much power it makes.
  5. KCvale

    KCvale Motorized Bicycle Vendor

    Put a couple of extra head gaskets in, that will hobble the engine HP.

    That is not the route you want to take though.
    It's a legal engine @ 49cc.
    Ride safe, follow the riding rules, and slow down a bit when you see a cop.

    Take it to court if you get sited and make the court test your bike to prove it has over the brake HP, no court in the land is going to spend thousands to collect a $100 fine for something as stupid as some arbitrary brake horsepower test.

    I have not a built a single bike that couldn't do over 20MPH on flat dry no wind ground even sitting up and never ride 20MPH.

    The law SHOULD NOT limit any vehicles engine performance under ideal conditions to regulate speed, if that were the case we all of us would be driving Yugo's that can't get 65 MPH on freeway under ideal conditions.
  6. MotorBicycleRacing

    MotorBicycleRacing Well-Known Member

    There are no head gaskets on a 49 cc Huasheng 4 stroke because they have a one piece head.

    what is on that list?
  7. YoungChaos

    YoungChaos New Member

    Obviously, the reverse side list will not include ANY engines that produce over 1 bHP, which is 1.013 horse power. I may have to make a restrictor plate myself because I cannot find measurements online.
  8. professor

    professor Active Member

    How small a restrictor are you going to make?
    To shave off unknown hp?
    For an unknown policeman to ask an unanswerable question.

    Make a sticker that says 1 hp @ 3ooo rpm (HP is always at some specified rpm) and stick it on the engine.

    Ride at spandex speed, wear a helmet, glasses, safety vest, look safe and nobody will bother you.
  9. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    I was talking to a friend who lives in Ohio today. Ohio has a very restrictive law when it comes to mopeds/scooters. From what I have read, the motorized bike as we know them requires insurance. I have no info on how the law is enforced there, but my friend tells me that nearly every scooter you see there has been plated. Maybe you can stay under the radar by keeping it under 20. Maybe not.
  10. boyntonstu

    boyntonstu Member

    Show your Ohio friend the Ohio Statute:

    As used in this chapter and Chapters 4503., 4505., 4507., 4509., 4510., 4511., 4513., 4515., and 4517. of the Revised Code, and in the penal laws, except as otherwise provided:

    (A) "Vehicles" means everything on wheels or runners, including motorized bicycles, but does not mean electric personal assistive mobility devices, vehicles that are operated exclusively on rails or tracks or from overhead electric trolley wires, and vehicles that belong to any police department, municipal fire department, or volunteer fire department, or that are used by such a department in the discharge of its functions.

    (B) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle, including mobile homes and recreational vehicles, that is propelled or drawn by power other than muscular power or power collected from overhead electric trolley wires. "Motor vehicle" does not include utility vehicles as defined in division (VV) of this section, motorized bicycles, road rollers, traction engines, power shovels, power cranes, and other equipment used in construction work and not designed for or employed in general highway transportation, well-drilling machinery, ditch-digging machinery, farm machinery, and trailers that are designed and used exclusively to transport a boat between a place of storage and a marina, or in and around a marina, when drawn or towed on a public road or highway for a distance of no more than ten miles and at a speed of twenty-five miles per hour or less.

    (C) "Agricultural tractor" and "traction engine" mean any self-propelling vehicle that is designed or used for drawing other vehicles or wheeled machinery, but has no provisions for carrying loads independently of such other vehicles, and that is used principally for agricultural purposes.

    (D) "Commercial tractor," except as defined in division (C) of this section, means any motor vehicle that has motive power and either is designed or used for drawing other motor vehicles, or is designed or used for drawing another motor vehicle while carrying a portion of the other motor vehicle or its load, or both.

    (E) "Passenger car" means any motor vehicle that is designed and used for carrying not more than nine persons and includes any motor vehicle that is designed and used for carrying not more than fifteen persons in a ridesharing arrangement.

    (F) "Collector's vehicle" means any motor vehicle or agricultural tractor or traction engine that is of special interest, that has a fair market value of one hundred dollars or more, whether operable or not, and that is owned, operated, collected, preserved, restored, maintained, or used essentially as a collector's item, leisure pursuit, or investment, but not as the owner's principal means of transportation. "Licensed collector's vehicle" means a collector's vehicle, other than an agricultural tractor or traction engine, that displays current, valid license tags issued under section 4503.45 of the Revised Code, or a similar type of motor vehicle that displays current, valid license tags issued under substantially equivalent provisions in the laws of other states.

    (G) "Historical motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle that is over twenty-five years old and is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, but that in no event is used for general transportation.

    (H) "Noncommercial motor vehicle" means any motor vehicle, including a farm truck as defined in section 4503.04 of the Revised Code, that is designed by the manufacturer to carry a load of no more than one ton and is used exclusively for purposes other than engaging in business for profit.

    (I) "Bus" means any motor vehicle that has motor power and is designed and used for carrying more than nine passengers, except any motor vehicle that is designed and used for carrying not more than fifteen passengers in a ridesharing arrangement.

    (J) "Commercial car" or "truck" means any motor vehicle that has motor power and is designed and used for carrying merchandise or freight, or that is used as a commercial tractor.

    (K) "Bicycle" means every device, other than a device that is designed solely for use as a play vehicle by a child, that is propelled solely by human power upon which a person may ride, and that has two or more wheels, any of which is more than fourteen inches in diameter.

    (L) "Motorized bicycle" means any vehicle that either has two tandem wheels or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, that is capable of being pedaled, and that is equipped with a helper motor of not more than fifty cubic centimeters piston displacement that produces no more than one brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the vehicle at a speed of no greater than twenty miles per hour on a level surface.

    (B) "Motor vehicle" means any vehicle, including mobile homes and recreational vehicles, that is propelled or drawn by power other than muscular power or power collected from overhead electric trolley wires. "Motor vehicle" does not include utility vehicles as defined in division (VV) of this section, motorized bicycles,

    Do non Motor Vehicles need licensing?

    Ohio seems very liberal.
  11. YoungChaos

    YoungChaos New Member

    Maybe I'll sure give it a shot not gonna ride it in one particular area. Only to school or to the ol ladies other than that *shrugs* yes the MUST be plated though insurance is only required to register moped then I'll get a refund :O) Because by law it's not require. Stick it to the man, Oh Yeah! Cant wait to use that on some smug a-hole cop.

    Cop: License and registeration.

    *hand Cop papers*

    Cop: "Proof of Insurance."

    I'll simply say, " I'm not required to have insurance."

    Cop: "The Law Says, Yes, you are."

    Me: "That's funny according to Section 4509.01 (I) of the Ohio Revised Code which deals with Financial Responsibility states 'any motor vehicle means every vehicle propelled by power other than muscular power or power collected from overhead electric trolley wires, except motorized bicycles are required to be insured."

    Oh the satisfaction would be the look on his face when he'd have to get in his car and leave lol
    boyntonstu likes this.
  12. YoungChaos

    YoungChaos New Member

    Haha! I found a solution!! I live across the bridge from kentucky all I have to do is obtain a moped licence in kentucky and OHIO can't say **** lol Woo!
  13. boyntonstu

    boyntonstu Member

    I love it!

    Carry the Statute and show it to the ossifer.

    Also, "I am not a Driver, this is not a Motor Vehicle that requires registration, licensing, or insurance.

    If you write a ticket after reading the Statute, please understand that you and your wife may be involved in a civil lawsuit.

    Why wife? She benefits from his salary and from his unlawful acts.
  14. Timbone

    Timbone Active Member

    The attempt to get the bike registered in KY might not be so simple. Yes, in KY, if your bike has less than 50cc it is basicially road legal. But you aren't a Kentuckian and you don't have a KY driver's license.
  15. jhammondcpa

    jhammondcpa Active Member

    Clearly all of the states are different, however I would look at the regulations more closely and see if they don't follow the classification system used in Maryland. Maryland tagged both of my bikes, a 2 cycle and 4 cycle and each fits some elements of both categories. The horsepower is too high for a Moped and the Scooter classification states "non-pedal and step through chassis". They checked my age "69", took my $20 but they never looked at the bike or asked for insurance verification! I did have a certificate of origin for the second bike which they took, but gave me a title later by mail for each bike, "cough cough", Moped/Scooter!

    "Moped" means a bicycle that:
    1. Is designed to be operated by human power with the assistance of a motor;
    2. Is equipped with pedals that mechanically drive the rear wheel or wheels;
    3. Has two or three wheels, of which one is more than 14 inches in diameter; and
    4. Has a motor rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less and, if the motor is an internal combustion
    engine, a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.

    "Motor Scooter" means a non-pedal vehicle that:
    1. Has a seat for the operator;
    2. Has 2 wheels, of which one is 10 inches or more in diameter;
    3. Has a step through chassis;
    4. Has a motor: (i) With a rating of 2.7 brake horsepower or less; or (ii) If the motor is an internal
    combustion engine, with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less; and
    5. Is equipped with an automatic transmission. "Motor Scooter" does not include a vehicle that has
    been manufactured for off road use, including a motorcycle and all terrain vehicles.

    I have a YouTube link showing both bikes at

    Give it a try, you can always say you were confused by the regs!

    Jimmy H.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
    boyntonstu likes this.
  16. boyntonstu

    boyntonstu Member

    Vehicle Code in Maryland. -

    The Unofficial Guide to the DMV
    Vehicle Code in Maryland. The Maryland transportation statutes, which are also referred to as the motor vehicle code, spells out the rules that influence things ...

    Is your bike involved in the transportation business?

    [trans-per-tey-shuh n]

    Word Origin

    1. the act of transporting.
    2.the state of being transported.
    3.the means of transport or conveyance.
    4.the business of conveying people, goods, etc.
    5.price of travel or transport by public conveyance; fare. or permits for transport or travel.
    7.banishment, as of a criminal to a penal colony; deportation.

    Is it possible to transport yourself (unless you are Scotty in Star Trek)?
  17. jhammondcpa

    jhammondcpa Active Member

    It's all by the book, just used as personal recreation, which gets the ORV tag. Two tags and titles in hand and both are insured vehicles!

    Effective October 1, 2012, mopeds and motor scooters are required to be titled and display a an ORV decal in
    Maryland. In addition, operators of the vehicles are required to possess a valid license or moped
    permit, carry proof of insurance, and wear a protective head and eye device.

    It's all good!
  18. boyntonstu

    boyntonstu Member

    Are they insured vehicles or are they insured Motor Vehicles?

    How fast 2 stroke, 4 stroke?
  19. jhammondcpa

    jhammondcpa Active Member

    The 2 stroke is always the low to mid twenties and the 4 stroke runs in the high twenties and peaked at 30mph. I have about 450 miles on roads with 25-30 mph so that works for me. The 4 stroke labors less at the higher speeds and sounds great with the baffle in the exhaust! The bikes are the 4th and 5th tagged motorized vehicles on my auto insurance master policy through State Farm. SF treated them like motorcycles for coverage! It was all a surprise to me, since I was unaware that after October 12, 2012 tags and insurance were required when I started to build bike #1. They are too much fun to let a few hundred dollars keep me from playing!

    The girls can be seen at

    Thanks for asking!
    Jimmy H.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  20. Old Bob

    Old Bob Member

    You can argue semantics all you want with the cops, at the end of the day the court will take the info published by the factory and use that as your power level no matter what you claim. You want to get belligerent on the side of the road, they will arrest you for breach of peace.