Reducing HorsePower? (Try not to point and/or LOL)

Maybe I'll sure give it a shot not gonna ride it in one particular area. Only to school or to the ol ladies other than that *shrugs* yes the MUST be plated though insurance is only required to register moped then I'll get a refund :O) Because by law it's not require. Stick it to the man, Oh Yeah! Cant wait to use that on some smug a-hole cop.

Cop: License and registeration.

*hand Cop papers*

Cop: "Proof of Insurance."

I'll simply say, " I'm not required to have insurance."

Cop: "The Law Says, Yes, you are."

Me: "That's funny according to Section 4509.01 (I) of the Ohio Revised Code which deals with Financial Responsibility states 'any motor vehicle means every vehicle propelled by power other than muscular power or power collected from overhead electric trolley wires, except motorized bicycles are required to be insured."

Oh the satisfaction would be the look on his face when he'd have to get in his car and leave lol

Haha! I found a solution!! I live across the bridge from kentucky all I have to do is obtain a moped licence in kentucky and OHIO can't say **** lol Woo!

Maybe I'll sure give it a shot not gonna ride it in one particular area. Only to school or to the ol ladies other than that *shrugs* yes the MUST be plated though insurance is only required to register moped then I'll get a refund :O) Because by law it's not require. Stick it to the man, Oh Yeah! Cant wait to use that on some smug a-hole cop.

Cop: License and registeration.

*hand Cop papers*

Cop: "Proof of Insurance."

I'll simply say, " I'm not required to have insurance."

Cop: "The Law Says, Yes, you are."

Me: "That's funny according to Section 4509.01 (I) of the Ohio Revised Code which deals with Financial Responsibility states 'any motor vehicle means every vehicle propelled by power other than muscular power or power collected from overhead electric trolley wires, except motorized bicycles are required to be insured."

Oh the satisfaction would be the look on his face when he'd have to get in his car and leave lol

I love it!

Carry the Statute and show it to the ossifer.

Also, "I am not a Driver, this is not a Motor Vehicle that requires registration, licensing, or insurance.

If you write a ticket after reading the Statute, please understand that you and your wife may be involved in a civil lawsuit.

Why wife? She benefits from his salary and from his unlawful acts.

The attempt to get the bike registered in KY might not be so simple. Yes, in KY, if your bike has less than 50cc it is basicially road legal. But you aren't a Kentuckian and you don't have a KY driver's license.

Clearly all of the states are different, however I would look at the regulations more closely and see if they don't follow the classification system used in Maryland. Maryland tagged both of my bikes, a 2 cycle and 4 cycle and each fits some elements of both categories. The horsepower is too high for a Moped and the Scooter classification states "non-pedal and step through chassis". They checked my age "69", took my $20 but they never looked at the bike or asked for insurance verification! I did have a certificate of origin for the second bike which they took, but gave me a title later by mail for each bike, "cough cough", Moped/Scooter!

"Moped" means a bicycle that:
1. Is designed to be operated by human power with the assistance of a motor;
2. Is equipped with pedals that mechanically drive the rear wheel or wheels;
3. Has two or three wheels, of which one is more than 14 inches in diameter; and
4. Has a motor rating of 1.5 brake horsepower or less and, if the motor is an internal combustion
engine, a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less.

"Motor Scooter" means a non-pedal vehicle that:
1. Has a seat for the operator;
2. Has 2 wheels, of which one is 10 inches or more in diameter;
3. Has a step through chassis;
4. Has a motor: (i) With a rating of 2.7 brake horsepower or less; or (ii) If the motor is an internal
combustion engine, with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or less; and
5. Is equipped with an automatic transmission. "Motor Scooter" does not include a vehicle that has
been manufactured for off road use, including a motorcycle and all terrain vehicles.

I have a YouTube link showing both bikes at https://www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos

Give it a try, you can always say you were confused by the regs!

Jimmy H.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vehicle Code in Maryland. - DMV.org

The Unofficial Guide to the DMV
Vehicle Code in Maryland. The Maryland transportation statutes, which are also referred to as the motor vehicle code, spells out the rules that influence things ...

Is your bike involved in the transportation business?

transportation
[trans-per-tey-shuh n]

Examples
Word Origin

noun
1. the act of transporting.
2.the state of being transported.
3.the means of transport or conveyance.
4.the business of conveying people, goods, etc.
5.price of travel or transport by public conveyance; fare.
6.tickets or permits for transport or travel.
7.banishment, as of a criminal to a penal colony; deportation.

Is it possible to transport yourself (unless you are Scotty in Star Trek)?

It's all by the book, just used as personal recreation, which gets the ORV tag. Two tags and titles in hand and both are insured vehicles!

Effective October 1, 2012, mopeds and motor scooters are required to be titled and display a an ORV decal in
Maryland. In addition, operators of the vehicles are required to possess a valid license or moped
permit, carry proof of insurance, and wear a protective head and eye device.

It's all good!

Are they insured vehicles or are they insured Motor Vehicles?

How fast 2 stroke, 4 stroke?

The 2 stroke is always the low to mid twenties and the 4 stroke runs in the high twenties and peaked at 30mph. I have about 450 miles on roads with 25-30 mph so that works for me. The 4 stroke labors less at the higher speeds and sounds great with the baffle in the exhaust! The bikes are the 4th and 5th tagged motorized vehicles on my auto insurance master policy through State Farm. SF treated them like motorcycles for coverage! It was all a surprise to me, since I was unaware that after October 12, 2012 tags and insurance were required when I started to build bike #1. They are too much fun to let a few hundred dollars keep me from playing!

The girls can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/user/JimConHam/videos

Thanks for asking!
Jimmy H.

Last edited:
You can argue semantics all you want with the cops, at the end of the day the court will take the info published by the factory and use that as your power level no matter what you claim. You want to get belligerent on the side of the road, they will arrest you for breach of peace.

Back