Registering your bike

I

ivan44

For those of you who live in states that don't require register your bikes, be thankful.
I live in Minnesota and had a heck of a time getting mine done. In the land of 10,000 lakes, my "motorized/assisted/moped bike" has to be no more than 50cc's, go no more than 20mph if registered as an assisted bike - 30mph if registered as a moped, have a mirror, head light, tail light, and working brake light(which is a bear to find, I'll post a link if anyone wants it), can't be driven on interstates, sidewalk or bike paths, but can be driven on sidewalks/bike paths if it's an electric powerd bike and not gas powered. You also have to get and carry proof of insurence(50-75 bucks a year), get a moped plate and hang it off the back of your bike and get new tabs every year just like your car.
I bought mine from a really cool company down in Arizona called Spooky Tooth Cycles.com. They sell old school looking cruisers and the owner ( a really cool dude named Roland) has gone way above the call of duty to get these bikes out to those who can't afford or don't want a Harley!!! He also has done a lot along the lines of fighting to get make sure riders like us aren't put thru the ringer by the cops. I don't know about you guys but I think he deserves a case of really good case of brews or bottle of 12 yr old scotch. if anyone knows him send me what he likes and I'll Fedex him a care package if ya know what I mean.
Anyway since my bike didn't have a title like a car I was told I needed a bill of sale stating the size motor, cost, serial #, and seller's info.
I didn't get that either, cause when I ordered mine I didn't know about all this crap and told the guys at Spookytooth I didn't need any of that.
In MN you can do what's called a "stated title". It was made for guys that buy custom choppers, hot rods and such. You list where, who, and how the vehicle came into existence and you and the seller sign this form. I also had to provide a photo of my bike. When I registered mine two weeks ago I was only the second person to do so and it took almost an hour, a call to the state capital in St. Paul, and a lot of patience.
I have a couple of friends who are cops. Thier not trying to be a**holes, but the law is the law, they didn't write, they get paid to enforce it. So do yourself a favor and make sure have the correct paperwork & ride responsibly. Don't register a 50cc bike or scooter and throw a 150cc Honda on it and go 55mph up and down sidewalks and across peoples lawns. They've both told me they don't care if you're doin 35mph, just don't go any faster. When you get pulled over/ and you will be for speeding they'll rake you over the coals cause your an idiot and are breakin the rules you know are in place. The 1st thing both of them told me was if you don't like the laws try to get them changed it isn't as hard as you might think. In the mean time don't ride like you're on crystal meth and trying to break the speed of sound!!!!
I wear a helmet & orange vest. I'm also almost 40 yrs old & while I my oldest son says I'm the coolest looking dad at his school, I know if I get in a accident like a friend of mine from church did, I'll walk away, my friend is 30 yrs old, will use a walker for the rest of his life, and lost most of his short term memory cause helmets don't look cool.
Be patient registering, the folk at the DMV are as new to this as you are.

PS I saw the bumperstickers with motoredbike.com, where did you get those? I want to have some made with the Spookytooth.com logo for my gas tank. Isn't amazing how everyone that see's you at a stop sign will roll down there window and ask you if you bought your bike at Walmart!

Ivan

ivanandmindi@netzero.net

In Nova Scotia Canada , they just want you to stay under 30 KM, But i don't think they enforce it around here i hardly ever see cops that much.

Ivan.. Why did you?

Ivan.. I am not telling you what to do ..but.. Why did you tell them what size the motor is? There are no marks on the motor. Hit the kill switch and pedal..Then..what can they do? Unless bicycles are illegal there as well. At any rate.. I was just wondering about the logic behind telling agencies what they want to hear just so you can pay them money to use your bicycle . Help keep America Free !!!

I told them I've got 50cc cause that's what I've got. I'm not stupid and neither are the sheriffs I drive by everyday. I'm the first guy in this area driving a motorized bike - you better believe I'm gonna lead by example and not be stupid and ruin it for the next guy. If I get pulled over and the motor is hot enough to cook an egg on the cop can still ticket me, and then I get to go in front of a judge and try to explain that. Meanwhile everyone in the court room knows I'm lying thru my teeth, I look like a fool, still pay the fine unless I can convince them I'm Lance Armstrong, & now every cop in my area will be gunning for me cause I treid skating around the rules that I knew perfectly well were there in the first place. Isn't it smarter to just put the mirror, headlight, taillight on like they said I needed to and simply follow the speed limit and keep it at 30? If I know I'm not going to be happy going 30, then why did I just spend all the money on a bicycle? Once again if you've got issues following the rules than play a different game...not rocket science...and if you get caught breaking the rules don't cry about it...you're the one who put yourself in that situation!

the reason I have a ton of rules to follow now is because people couldn't act responsibe years ago. We all drive motorized BIKES ~ if you want to go 40 -50+mph just buy a motorcycle. To try and get a bicycle going that fast is just a bad idea any way you look at it. The reason the laws are there are to prevent people that aren't so bright from strapping a V-8 on a bar stool and then trying to get on the freeway. If you want to mod your bike to go like hell that's fine, just ride it up at the cabin thru a field. Then I don't have to worry about someone going mach 2 on a Schwinn sliding thru the intersection.

If the cops see I've got my bike squared away, I'm on the shoulder like I'm supposed to be, I've got a helmet even though I legally don't have to have one, and I"m wearing an orange vest and I'm doin 30, he can plainly see I'm not trying to be a rebel without a cause and isn't gonna be a pain in my butt. He's happy I'm happy and I get to ride my bike to work in peace.

Ivan

Good man Ivan44 - I've always believed that being honest is the best way to go. Provides a basis for self respect and sets a good example for your kids.

Yes it can be a hassle but you'll be a better man for it. I've tried to be honest all my life and it's always served me well.

Well..Ivan.. Then..Abide by federal law

less than 50cc. slower than 20mph. That is federal law says they are bicycles. And that is federal law. So..Once you do that. You will be abiding by federal law. And states can not usurp federal law. But..Then again.. Sounds like the cops in your area do what they like with you. So.. Sounds like you are totally screwed no matter what. You are in the Bummer Zone Ivan.

Ivan..You said..

You said you are the first to have a motorized bike? Then you say later everyone has them and have set bad examples? ? I do not get it. But...You and others need to get it. These are not motorized bicycles. These are motor assisted bicycles. Period !! You can do a search on the internet and find this out. So far I know of only three places that there are any regulations what so ever on motor assisted bicycles. That is NYC, Boulder and Broomfield Colorado. But..Again.. Cops can do what they like. And it sounds like you are in a real Bummer Zone dude..

1. you have 48cc not 50cc its only marketed as 50cc you dug your own hole in that one no cop shop in there right mind is going to mic a piston to find its true size

Good point..

I missed that. I see now that he did tell them it is a 50cc. Not smart. I do not think that is accurate either. Typically the 50cc motors are 48.8cc. Less than 49cc.

There's no bummer zone. OK last post the guys before me had mopeds/scooters not assisted bikes. Clear enough. Bottom line is they suped them up or rode like maniacs or both. I don't have cash to hire a fleet of lawyers to argue over motorized bike/assisted bike/moped/scooter definitions. The DMV here looks at them pretty much the same ~ Don't go over 50cc and keep it under 30mph. If the motor is on a bike, Honda Frame, or what ever it still boils down to the same type of vehicle. With the exception of a scooter, they all have a frame, pedals, max size motor, and speed limit. Around here I'm the FIRST to have a motorized bicycle that being a bike that had a motor put on it. Years ago no one had thought to do this. Back then you bought "moped" or "scooter" from the Honda dealer. You can make this as complicated as you want but it's really pretty simple:
I know the cops around here WILL give me a ticket, if not several, if I don't register my bike. Now if that means I slap a 6" license plate on the back so be it. If I want to prove a point get ticketed, bike impounded, go to court to argue definitions, well that sounds like alot more BS than buying a $6 plate, and keeping them happy. I understand what your trying to say. But I don't want to be sitting on the shoulder trying to convince the coppers that they are misinterpreting the law. It's been my experience that cops don't take kindly to what they percieve as a smarta**. More often than not the cop is still gonna give me a ticket and tell me to convince the judge meanwhile I'm walking 10 miles back home to get the minivan I'm doing everything inmy power to keep butt out of. If I put a set of cranks on my the other side of my Ninja 600 is it an assisted bicycle? That's my point someone will try to do it and still call it a bicycle that just happens to go 100+mph. You know what I have no problem letting that guy take his case to the supreme court.
tomayto - tomahto

Dude I just want to ride my motorized bike to work at 30mph. That's it.

Back