Registering

lagfish

Local time
7:34 AM
Hi,
I'm reposting this here from the trike section because the same laws should apply to bikes/2-wheeled vehicles. I want to build a custom motorized tilting trike for commuting without pedals for a project and be able to register it so that it is road legal. Does anyone have any experience for this? I would use an electric motor and keep it under 30mph so I should be able to register it as a scooter and use it without a motorcycle license? I've read over the laws for a few states and it seems all I would need are:
  • Strong headlights, brake lights, turn signals, one mirror
  • Seat height higher than 26"
  • A strong enough frame and wheels
  • Split or independently actuated brake system that can pass a stopping distance test
  • Front suspension
  • DOT approved tires
  • Standard controls for kill switch, turn signals, etc.
Is there anything I'm missing? I want to make something very light, under 100 pounds, so I am thinking about using some bicycle components like wheels and brakes. I think I can use 16" DOT tires on 20" bike wheels.

Thanks in advance!

what state do you live in? generally, motorized biking laws are more favorable towards electric motors than gas. If you keep the peddles on it you might not need to register it at all. that being said need to know the particular laws for your state

I'm in Michigan but willing to go to another state to be able to register it and transfer the title back to MI if thats possible. The reason I don't want to put peddles on is you are limited to 20mph or will be very soon by new laws if I'm not mistake!

Then the really easy solution is to just ignore the 20mph law. All the ebike people ignore laws about power and speed, there's no consequences at all

Then the really easy solution is to just ignore the 20mph law. All the ebike people ignore laws about power and speed, there's no consequences at all
I actually believe this to be true, honestly if you're "pedaling" even just a little bit they 100% can't hold a real charge against you, especially because of the federal law's general looseness.

I would seriously consider leaving pedals on board, they are just too convenient.

Hi,
I'm reposting this here from the trike section because the same laws should apply to bikes/2-wheeled vehicles. I want to build a custom motorized tilting trike for commuting without pedals for a project and be able to register it so that it is road legal. Does anyone have any experience for this? I would use an electric motor and keep it under 30mph so I should be able to register it as a scooter and use it without a motorcycle license? I've read over the laws for a few states and it seems all I would need are:
  • Strong headlights, brake lights, turn signals, one mirror
  • Seat height higher than 26"
  • A strong enough frame and wheels
  • Split or independently actuated brake system that can pass a stopping distance test
  • Front suspension
  • DOT approved tires
  • Standard controls for kill switch, turn signals, etc.
Is there anything I'm missing? I want to make something very light, under 100 pounds, so I am thinking about using some bicycle components like wheels and brakes. I think I can use 16" DOT tires on 20" bike wheels.

Thanks in advance!

What you are building qualifies as a Moped in your state. 2 or 3 wheels, under 100cc (3000w) max 30mph, automatic no shifting, pedals not required. Like you stated your trike will need all the standard safety equipment, prolly don't need to go as far as DOT tires although it wouldn't be a bad idea. No inspection required you self certify. 15 bucks will get you a 3 year registration sticker, no plate.

Just a word of advise, when you go to register tell them you are there to register your old Moped, period. Do not say anything about scooter, 3 wheels, custom made, electric motor, built it yourself, bla bla bla. It's a Moped, thats it!, anything else just confuses the clerk and you'll end up going in circles and get nowhere.

Also make it a 1977 year model to eliminate problems with no 17 didgit VIN.

Title or Bill of sale you are going to have to get creative on. Gift from family member, lost, stolen (may require notorized statement of facts). You may have to research that one some, or complete the paperwork, take it down and give it a go, tell them you "misplaced" it, find out what your options are.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS_Moped_App_R-2L_220299_7.pdf

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1627_8669_53329-212754--,00.html

Last edited:
Back