thatelcaminoguy

Local time
4:50 AM
Hello everyone I am in a bit of a dilema. I am planning a 66cc Sportsman Flyer build (been drooling over that bike forever now!) But my state laws are quickly crushing my dreams. Although WA state hasn't officially outlawed motorized bicycles they have written the rules in such a way that motorized bicycles are all but illegal except on private property (and I have none). The problem is that in order to ride on the steets you have to have it registered and that requires a vin tag and a title. I've thought about registering it as a 50cc moped but the cheapest mopeds I can find are still about $500 and all I need is the vin tag and the title. There has to be an easier way! Pretty sure it's a lost cause but just for the hell of it anyone got any good suggestions or junk mopeds they would sell me really cheap? I'm already figuring I'll be spending nearly $1,300 to build this bike and that alone is enough to make me second guess my plan. Then to not even legally be able to ride it is rediculous!

Last edited:
I wouldn't get too crazy, certainly there's some easier workaround that's not as expensive or illegal as buying a moped and switching the plate off..

Virginia is pretty close to me, and makes it very easy to get titles for mopeds and one could get a proper one that could be exchanged for a PA title after coming back. You may have a strange state or 2 around that might work. You can also find a guy who will pass your bike as a moped either by actually affirming its a moped under his jurisdiction as a mechanic (inspection mechanic) or he takes it as a custom builder of mopeds or other bikes and simply tells the state he built it at least in part and gives you a title like you'd get from a dealership.

Both can be difficult without knowing the right people. Both tend to be a bit pricey, but neither is technically illegal..

Might have to look into the dealership thing... I know there is a guy about a mile up the street who builds bikes and sells them out of his business (which sells everything from old hot rods to motorcycles and even bicycle engine kits... He might have some useful information... Thanks for the advise lol and I'll post my findings whatever they may be.

Doesn't California have a simple way to license motorized bicycles? If I am correct, get someone you know to register it in California and provide you a bill of sale.

Doesn't California have a simple way to license motorized bicycles? If I am correct, get someone you know to register it in California and provide you a bill of sale.
I have a strong feeling that the lack of a real paper title with the California route will stand in the way of that working well..

Pretty sure the state solely intended to have a good loophole to get a quick extra buck, and for the price I wouldn't be one who could even begin to complain, especially because of how easy it really is..

you should be able to get a vin assigned. don't know what form you need in washington but ask your local DMV. if that falls through ask someone who's built a custom motorcycle.

it'll be considerably less illegal to ride an unregistered vehicle than to swap a vin plate

you should be able to get a vin assigned. don't know what form you need in washington but ask your local DMV. if that falls through ask someone who's built a custom motorcycle.

it'll be considerably less illegal to ride an unregistered vehicle than to swap a vin plate

My thought behind it was that car guys do stuff similar all the time tho. Like it'll be '49 on a '50 frame registered as a '48 and none of the mechanical parts are original to the vehicle... Most police in my experience aren't too savy in that area either lol. I've gotten out of doing burnouts (back in the day when I could afford cool hot rods) by explaining that my throttle stuck bc my new carburetor that isn't quite dialed in yet and it's wet and I don't have posi traction then a bunch of technical sh!t that went way over their heads lol. Like five minutes later "okay well just make sure you get it figured out". Not that that is okay or something I'd want to take chances on the reg but it's worked for me so far lol. Figure if I just explained that it's a custom build made out of the factory registered vehicle they'd go for it... But still then the problem of $$$ for a pos that I don't want or need...

Back