Registration in California is not possible and not required

Got it! Thanks

OK,

I understand. Although I am a good reader, I am not quite as good at reading between the lines. Thanks for your patience,

And Mike, great piece on engine history, thanks.

ItsKeith :D

The world thru old eyes

Ok you-all got me! I did actually read that topic, proir, and did Not Click On The Reference Link! !!! DOH!!!
Well, doggonnit, I really did think he wanted to know, and a bunch of old memories came flooding back! This is probably the first, and even only place that I've written some of that which I know.
I, for one, will strive to be at least a lil bit better reader, so next time you guys catch me in a boo-boo I'm not standing there in 9 paragraphs "with Me pants around Me ankles".
Hope you-all enjoyed the Ancient History.......Mike (the guy with the red face)

You don't have to do any of this

According to my reading, from the above posted pdf regarding CA motorcycle laws:

"If you operate a motorized bicycle....[you] are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements"

I don't mind paying taxes, but I'm not sending the DMV money if I don't have to!

grakker,
The very first post linked to an out of date law. Search http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/vc.htm and read the latest. This is the way I interpret this mess

"If you operate a motorized bicycle....[you] are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility,
TRUE - means you don't have to have insurance (which is a state requirement on all other vehicles)
exempt from......driver license,
FALSE - you must have an M2 drivers license (someone said its $25)
exempt from......moped plate requirements"
FALSE - moped AND motor assisted bicycle need a plate ( one time cost $17)

Ah, thank you

Thanks for clarifying. I followed your links and saw 5037. (a) which states you have to have a plate. Fair enough. I spent far more on the engine, so I guess that I'll get started on the plate.

The application form REG 230 has this section:
Answer the following questions "yes" or "no" to determine if you vehicle is a motorized bicycle.

1)Two Wheel or Three Wheel Device? YES
2)Fully operative pedals for human power or powered solely by electrical energy? YES
3)Automatic transmission and a motor with less than 2 gross brake horsepower? NO Isn't it driven by the engine and not an automatic transmission-
4)Maximum speed of 30 mph on ground level?

If you answered "No" to any of these questions, your vehicle is not a motorized bicycle as defined by the California Vehicle Code 406.

Then it goes on to say you should fill out form Reg 343 which is clearly not for a bicycle.

Someone correct me if my bike actually has an automatic transmission and I just don't know about it.

Here is the actual vehicle code definition:

Motorized Bicycle
406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has a poweroutput of not more than 1,000 watts.
(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.
(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.
(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:
(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.
(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say "Yes with explanation".

When they ask what the explanation is, say "the idiots that wrote this don't know what they were doing"... :eek: 8)

Seriously, it is a Motor Assisted Bicycle, no matter what local do gooder politicians try to say or do. That is the ONLY category it fits in, whether the reg has been written or not.

Since you clearly don't fall in the category of motorcycles, the absence of transmission keeps you out of the mo-ped and pocket rocket groups.

I'll say, once again that I'm no expert but here's what I believe.
1. The law, not the form is what you have to go by
2. The form question #1 and #2 (1st part) refers to a gasoline powered motored bike which ties in with 406A which says A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power
3. The form question #3 refers to an electric bike. This ties in with 406A which says "or having no pedals IF powered solely by electrical energy, AND an automatic transmission ......"

If you answered "No" to any of these questions, your vehicle is not a motorized bicycle as defined by the California Vehicle Code 406.

Then it goes on to say you should fill out form Reg 343 which is clearly not for a bicycle.

Exactly: Reg 342 is for pink slip vehicles

I believe you should follow the law and not the form. Otherwise, I recommend you contact DMV for further clarification

Last edited by a moderator:
Registration in California

I just plan on carrying a folded up copy of the form REG 230 with the excerpt of the definition of a motorized bike printed on the back in my pouch just in case any of my law enforcing friends have any questions. Then, let them scratch their heads too.

A dead horse further abused

Guys, I wish this thread was sanitized and then closed. The law says , in other places, no MORE than a two-speed automatic.

Our "single speed" bikes DO qualify. If this were not true, how would Whizzer have completely legalized the epa. dot, CARB, California approved Whizzer belt-drive single speed motorbike?

I've been licensing, as have my customers, these bikes here in CA for a couple of years. DO NOT bother DMV with a ton of questions, and a bunch of explanations, they do NOT care, not understand, and nothing good will happen from getting involved at that level.

Please read and understand, and do not make this any more difficult than it needs to be.

Fill out reg 230, and MAIL it in, do NOT take the bike down and confuse the DMV workers. Someone knows how to process the forms when they are mailed to DMV, will recieve them, process them, and in a very long time, at thier convienience will send you your new plate. It is just that easy and we are SOOOO lucky that it is! Please do not rock the boat, and make it any more difficult.

Would it be possible for me to be any more clear on this subject? If , wow, and I cannot figure out how, that you happen to have any questions about what I have written, BY ALL MEANS, do not heasitate to ask, as I am very anxiuos to lay this subject to rest. In thier blessed ignorance, the State of California, has made Moped/Motor bicycle registration, one of the easiest, least expensive, and admittedly the least painful of all thier proceedures, please Celebrate this with me.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Mike

Back