Registration in California is not possible and not required

S

sergio riveros

My experience in California it is that the registration it is not possible and it is not required.

I was told I needed to register my motorized bike, and I got a 30 day permit since it needed a VIN.

However bikes do not have VINs, some bikes have serial numbers.
The California Highway Patrol will not assign a VIN to a motorized bike even though according the the DMV they are responsible for the assignment of a VIN.

The DMV will not assigned a VIN to a motorized bike.

So for all practical purposes, it gets treated like a bicycle according to an email from the DMV.

I will post here if I can get a refund for my failed registration of $56 which is wrong, since they charge me a motorcycle fee.

Here is the official response:

"Hi,

I was following up with you regarding the inquiry on registering the bicycle. We apologize but we are unable to register your bicycle at this point per our manual and procedures. For any additional information you may call (800) 777 - 0133 or log on to our website at dmv.ca.gov. Thank you.

Marisela Olivas

San Ysidro DMV - 677
"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sergio,

I put Thatsdax' post on Federal rules in a sticky topic, I think that info, in addition to your findings make a very muddy situation "clear as a bell", for future trouble free riding.....

Confused

Ok - now I'm confused. You can get a plate for a motorized bicycle but yet another item discussed on this list from the CA DMV states "A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration." So is the plate registration or not? The URL is here: www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc4020.htm

Thanks - John

That is very old news. Look at the date on it...1/01/75

You gotta be 16 with a M-2 cert on your CDL.
Fill in the form that you print out and send it in with the $17.
It's a one time plate, no annual fees.
All bicycle laws apply as to night lighting and such.

Just do it or go down to the DMV and play games with people that do not know the current law.

Or, if you are under age just ride a motored bike in CA and see what happens when you get pulled over.
Do report back if you choose to ride w/o the silly plate and do get pulled over.

The links I posted are current and easily understood. :???:

John you're not the only one who is confused so I've copied items out of the CVC trying to help all of us to understand. Hope I got it all!!!

1. THIS IS WHAT WE"RE TALKING ABOUT

California Vehicle Code Division 3 - Registration of Vehicles and Certificates of Title

2. THIS SAYS A MOTORIZED BIKE IS EXEMPT FROM REGISTRATION

Chapter 1. Original and Renewal Registration; Issuance of Certificates of Title
Article 1. Vehicles Subject to Registration

Motorized Bicycles 4020.
A motorized bicycle operated upon a highway is exempt from registration. Added Ch. 987, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

3. THIS SAYS THAT ALTHOUGH YOU'RE EXEMPT FROM REGISTRATION, YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE A LICENSE PLATE

Article 8.1. Motorized Bicycles

License Plate Required 5037.
(a) No motorized bicycle first sold on or after July 1, 1981, shall be moved or operated upon a highway unless the owner first makes application for a license plate and, when received, attaches it to the motorized bicycle as provided in this article.
(b) Motorized bicycles first sold prior to July 1, 1981, shall not be moved or operated upon a highway after January 1, 1982, unless the owner makes application for a license plate and, when received, attaches it to the motorized bicycle as provided in this article.
(c) Any motorized bicycle currently licensed pursuant to Division 16.7 (commencing with Section 39000) on July 1, 1981, may be operated upon a highway until July 1, 1982.
Added Ch. 1070, Stats. 1980. Effective January 1, 1981

4. THIS SAYS THAT ALTHOUGH YOU'RE EXEMPT FROM REGISTRATION, THE STATE STILL WANTS YOUR MONEY

Article 8.1. Motorized Bicycles

Service Fee 5036.
A service fee of fifteen dollars ($15) shall be paid for the issuance or transfer of a special license plate for motorized bicycles, as defined in Section 406. Publicly-owned motorized bicycles are exempt from the fee.
Amended Sec. 7, Ch. 719, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

EDIT: THIS IS A ONE TIME FEE

5. THIS SAYS THEY WANT MORE MONEY SIMPLY BECAUSE ANOTHER YEAR HAS GONE BY AND IF THEY WRITE IT UP LIKE THIS THEY WON"T FORGET NEXT YEAR

Publisher's Note - Fees described in this section are subject to change pursuant to Section 1678 Fee Adjustment: Consumer Price Index
(a) Between January 1, 2004, and December 31, 2004, inclusive, the fee amounts set forth in Section 488.385 of the Code of Civil Procedure, Section 10902 of the Revenue and Taxation Code, and Sections 4604, 5014, 5036, 6700.25, 9102.5, 9250.8, 9250.13, 9252, 9254, 9258, 9261, 9265, 9702, 11515, 11515.2, 12814.5, 14900, 14900.1, 14901, 14902, 38121, 38225.4, 38225.5, 38232, 38255, 38260, and 38265 shall be the base fee amounts charged by the department.
(b) On January 1, 2005, and every January 1 thereafter, the department shall adjust the fees imposed under the sections listed in subdivision (a) by increasing each fee in an amount equal the increase in the California Consumer Price Index for the prior year, as calculated by the Department of Finance, with amounts equal to or greater than fifty cents ($0.50) rounded to the next highest whole dollar.
Added Sec. 3, Ch. 719, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

EDIT: 2007 amount = $17

6. THIS IS THE LITTLE PLATE THEY GIVE YOU SO THEY KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND GET MORE MONEY IF YOU DON"T HAVE ONE

Moped

The little plate pic won't print

This permanent plate is mandatory on motorized bicycles. For an application click here.
Statutory Authority: VC Sec.406, 5030

7. AND THIS TELLS YOU THAT YOU BETTER HAVE PEDALS, CANNOT HAVE MORE THAN 2 HORSES (that's Gross my boy) OR 1000 WATTS AND BE INCAPABLE OF MORE THAN 30 MPH (with no regard given to weight) (20 MPH if electric) AND NO STATE REQUIRED INSURANCE

California Vehicle Code Division 1- Words and Phrases Defined

Motorized Bicycle
406. (a) A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, and an automatic transmission and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horsepower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
(b) A "motorized bicycle" is also a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that meets all of the following requirements:
(1) Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts.
(2) Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on ground level.
(3) Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.
(4) Every manufacturer of motorized bicycles, as defined in this subdivision, shall provide a disclosure to buyers that advises buyers that their existing insurance policies may not provide coverage for these bicycles and that they should contact their insurance company or insurance agent to determine if coverage is provided.
(c) The disclosure required under paragraph (4) of subdivision (b) shall meet both of the following requirements:
(1) The disclosure shall be printed in not less than 14-point boldface type on a single sheet of paper that contains no information other than the disclosure.
(2) The disclosure shall include the following language in capital letters:
"YOUR INSURANCE POLICIES MAY NOT PROVIDE COVERAGE FOR ACCIDENTS INVOLVING THE USE OF THIS BICYCLE. TO DETERMINE IF COVERAGE IS PROVIDED YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY OR AGENT."
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 804, Stats. 1995. Effective January 1, 1996. Supersedes Sec. 2, Ch. 342.

EDIT: To add drivers license requirements

How to apply for a motorcycle or moped driver license if you are over 18

There are two classes of motorcycle licenses, Class M1 and Class M2.
- With a Class M1, you can operate any 2-wheel motorcycle and any motorized vehicle in Class M2. (Also good for motorized scooter - stand on or seated)
- With a Class M2, you can only operate any motorized bicycle or moped or any bicycle with an attached motor. (Also good for motorized scooter - stand on or seated)

To apply for a motorcycle PERMIT for Class M1 or M2, you will need to:
- Complete application form DL 44 (An original DL 44 form must be submitted)
- Give a thumb print
- Have your picture taken
- Pay the application fee
- Pass a vision exam
- Pass a traffic laws and signs test. You have three chances to pass the test.
After completing the requirements, you will be issued an instruction permit to allow you to practice driving a motorcycle. You may not drive at night, on the freeway, or have any passengers with you.

To apply for your motorcycle LICENSE for Class M1 or M2, you must do the following:
- If you are under 21, you must complete a motorcycle rider training course given by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and provide a certificate of Completion of Motorcycle Training (DL 389) to DMV to be issued your license. You will not be required to take the motorcycle driving test at DMV if you currently have a California Drivers License.
- If you are over 21, you may either choose to complete the course by CHP and provide the certificate OR take the driving test. You have three chances to pass the test.

If you've read this far I hope it clears it up

Edited to add drivers license requirements

Last edited by a moderator:
This clears things up nicely. Sorry for being the only one confused. As with all things DMV related, it's as clear as mud or subject to change without notice. :???:

interesting thread...i think it's clear we may already know more about this (altho not much) than
the beaurocrats we rely on... :???:

Re: California DMV Info

jmacpi33 said:
Here is the CA DMV site re: motorized bicycles:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/vc/tocd3c1a8_1.htm

Looks like we all need a plate on our bikes. But for $15, I think its worth it to avoid the headaches of the cops, courts and DMV. (especially here in Orange County!!)

has anyone bought one of these? how exactly would one go about getting one? i noticed it said "a drivers license or ID card number is required" so you don't need an actualy drivers license to buy the plates? please help I wouldn't mind buying this if it keeps cops off my back.

Back