Reinforced frame idea.

it's probably every bit as strong as it was originally. the failure point will likely be right under the bottom u-bolt if you ever do break the frame. I'd have liked to see an H beam but a T beam is plenty strong

worst case scenario, find another frame when it cracks. cracked frames usually aren't catastrophic unless you let them stay cracked too long

Dilly Dilly.
Indeed, I tried to dilly earlier today but noticed that universal look on my Spanish speaking neighbors whom I never said more than hi to on a couple occasions when you break a bolt off an engine case and have no fix for it.

I offered him my speed out and I knew he would make it worse and he did. Luckily me and my pals are well versed in the universal m6 bolt and all the stripping treasures contain within. I walked over to my buddies' house and picked up the helicoil kit which is more or less a mandatory requirement of the China girl world since his water pump on his Toyota or whatever it was is mounted with 6mm bolts.

All in all fixed the problem, still don't know my neighbor's name, and spent just enough time doing that to not have time to dilly on my own toy before work...

Aw well maybe next week..

Oh yeah he asked me what was wrong with my bike, I told him nothing, the engine is new, and I had to adjust things because it wouldn't fit, and he's seen it like that for months because I didn't have time. I said that as I was cutting threads in his engine even though I don't know a lick about him.

No matter why I don't have free time.

it's probably every bit as strong as it was originally. the failure point will likely be right under the bottom u-bolt if you ever do break the frame. I'd have liked to see an H beam but a T beam is plenty strong

worst case scenario, find another frame when it cracks. cracked frames usually aren't catastrophic unless you let them stay cracked too long
I'd like to think so too, not convinced.. So do you think it would prevent cracks by making the frame more ridged, or is the slight flexibility part of what keeps it from cracking...

Gary55:
How'd the casserole turn out?

It wasn't sounding good. I'm not trusting Gary to faithfully follow the recipe... (I'm not Dennis) (nor his friend)
"Friends don't let friends bake while dilly..."

Actually Frank, you have a great idea going on there.
First of all the cross-sectional area and structural rigidity of the "T" section probably exceeds the tube.
Only problem is that it weighs several times as much, and the strength around the clamping is suspect.
Filling the tube is an excellent idea. I'd suggest fiberglass saturated with polyester resin as being strong enough, light and reasonably cheap for what it is doing. You could put some welding rods up the length of the tube to prevent catastrophic failure but I doubt it is necessary. One inch of fiberglass reinforced resin is plenty. Think "hammer handle".

I've used this method to beef up a thin metal hood in industry. It was double wall construction but flexed so badly you knew it would eventually crack and break. Plating it up was out of the question due to weigh concerns. We stuffed fiberglass fuzz and epoxy resin into the gap, packed in with no air bubbles. It stiffened up amazingly. 20 years after it is still holding up.

The spray foam is too flexible and compressible. You really need an compressible solid.

I remember using some L metal to beef up the hood on a 74 chevy pickup. They had a real prob. with their hoods folding if you didn't keep the hinges well greased. Diff. app.. Stuff a heavy wall steel pipe in it. The cass. was great. Au Gratin potatoes, spicy hot links, green beans, and a s**tload of jalapeno chedder on top. Hunger is the best sauce, but drunk is damn close.

Back