Relation of stray dogs with my bike- much advice needed

A water gun with windex or ammonia.... A dog around here will hate the smell of it and will run away

Be sure to spray it right in their face, get some practice in if you have too;)

Dogs are strange animals , they can sense things far better than us , if you have any fear the dog will pick it up.

any time a dog has barked at me (apart from attack dogs) I simply stop call the dog over give him a scratch behind the ear and a pat on the head they will then remember you as the nice guy who gave a scratch , this is good to try if you pass the same dog daily (unless you're a postman)

if you kick the dog chances are it will try to attack you more viciously next time it sees you .

99% of any dog you encounter is just acting tough and is just trying to get your attention and will like you or will run away if you make a move towards it. Just mount a loud electric or air horn on your handlebars if you're afraid.

DogHornPkg.jpg

A couple years back there was a couple of dogs in my neighborhood at the end of my street (only way out) they would let run free and they would bit at me.

One day I just stopped, yelled at them, and seen what house they ran to.
I knocked on the door and asked if the dogs were theirs.

I informed them of what was going on to me and their dogs, the law regarding roaming dogs, and not so subtly suggested they keep their dogs off the streets or they may not live through another attack.

Not seen them since ;-}

A couple years back there was a couple of dogs in my neighborhood at the end of my street (only way out) they would let run free and they would bit at me.

One day I just stopped, yelled at them, and seen what house they ran to.
I knocked on the door and asked if the dogs were theirs.

I informed them of what was going on to me and their dogs, the law regarding roaming dogs, and not so subtly suggested they keep their dogs off the streets or they may not live through another attack.

Not seen them since ;-}

Passive aggressively threatening your neighbors. Always a good plan of attack.

I'm really good at handling dogs, & I can tell you the first step is, convince yourself that you are too. Seriously, if you act confident & decisive, the dog will see that you're in charge & go w/ it, so first of all, gin up some confidence & get psyched: if you're confident enough, any way you handle it will work

easiest & most likely will work, same strategy as walking thru a crowded subway & not having everybody get in your way: purposeful stare at where you're going; brisk, fluid movement towards destination. people & dogs, subconsciously get out of your way. will work on a bike too

if the dog is barking & running up to you, you might need to acknowledge it, so you can then give it instructions. keep it terse. stern but not unfriendly unless the dog gets too close. give verbal commands that are simple & back them up w/ body language. even though dogs presumably don't understand our words, they'll figure it out if you're clear & emphatic. ie. loudly, 'hey dog. stay there. that's fine.' & ride off

depending on your personal comfort level & how often you plan to pass by the dog, you may want to slow down & establish that you're the alpha & whatnot, or you may want to speed up - maybe just shout HEY! & point at the dogs feet wherever you want it to stop, & speed past

also keep in mind how dogs play at a dog park: they run & chase each other back & forth. so if you're running away, acting like you're trying to avoid them, they'll chase you on account of that. but if you're going towards them, or even towards some other tangent w/out paying them any attention, it won't trigger that typical chase behaviour. same principle will help you if you're ever trying to catch a dog, but it runs away when you get close. when you make eye contact, look startled & run off. the dog will follow & you can lead it into a cul de sac

Last edited:
Back