Relation of stray dogs with my bike- much advice needed

like the martial arts mindset, you have kind of levels of how much the dog is going w/ your program & not being a problem. almost always if you follow the above, just giving the instructions works & 99 out of 100 dogs are going to be appropriate to you right back.

but it's also valid that you should know what you'd do if the dog crosses the line & becomes a threat to you. if the dog is encroaching your space too bad &/or biting at you & you're scared of getting hurt, it's probably reached the point where getting super pissed, yelling, & forcefully making the dog give you distance w/ your bike, feet or other equipment handy would be an appropriate instinct. it's good to think & practice the worst-case escalation scenario - it's part of the confidence aspect. if you're confident & ready to handle things even if the dog attacked, the dog will notice & be motivated not to attack, so again, hardly ever requires force if you're firm & confident from the get go

Dogs need to be taught not to chase cars/bikes/etc.
The pair of Chiwawas at the end of my street wasn't taught and the way they leap one was likely to end up under my back tire.

This is well known in Mexico, they let stray dogs breed and roam the streets until the 'harvest'.
Dog is on the menu.
A couple trucks just tie bandanas to their wheels and ride slow through town.
The dogs bite the cloth and it snaps their necks.
I have actually had the mis-fortune to have seen this first hand, its not as gruesome as it sounds though.

1.So the funny thing is , the very next day i posted the topic here, i was chased by a more ferrocious dog. It came out of vushes barking towarfs me
I stopped the bike and looked back and yelled at him to stop there. He stopped there :p
and continued to bark though.and then i calmy set off to my destination :p

That was a stray dog.....and it stopped as i yelled t him, strange he understood lol

2. The dog that made me post here, i went to find its owner, so the ownwer has a Plant nursery and keeps many plants roadside, the dog protects them overnight. I saw many people passing by him and he just watches and didnt chase a single man, bike, car :p i think loud enhine noose from my bike made him ferrocious ! Well dogs are strange.i must own one !

...has a Plant nursery and keeps many plants roadside, the dog protects them overnight.
I saw many people passing by him and he just watches and didnt chase a single man, bike, car :p i think loud enhine noose from my bike made him ferrocious !
Well dogs are strange.
i must own one !
Working from a home shop has it risks, a lot of people come by and I always have some really cool machines here that would be tempting but I don't worry about it.
I am armed and have a couple big guard dogs ;-}

1.So the funny thing is , the very next day i posted the topic here, i was chased by a more ferrocious dog. It came out of vushes barking towarfs me
I stopped the bike and looked back and yelled at him to stop there. He stopped there :p
and continued to bark though.and then i calmy set off to my destination :p

That was a stray dog.....and it stopped as i yelled t him, strange he understood lol

2. The dog that made me post here, i went to find its owner, so the ownwer has a Plant nursery and keeps many plants roadside, the dog protects them overnight. I saw many people passing by him and he just watches and didnt chase a single man, bike, car :p i think loud enhine noose from my bike made him ferrocious ! Well dogs are strange.i must own one !

Over the years I have had a lot of animals run out in front of me while driving at night.
Cats, raccoons, dogs, squirrels and even deer. Lonely rural highway, why do these animals decide to run out in front of me.
I got to see why as a cat along side the road watched the lights of an oncoming car and hunkered down in fear.
As the car came closer the cat hunkered lower and lower and at the last minute, bolted out in front of the car!
So that is it, the lights and noise spur them to make an escape right into that route that they predetermined on their way.
I've seen this behaviour in squirrels and raccoons too, now that I am looking for it.
The quieter the car or bike, the less likely the animal is to bolt I believe (so much for "Loud pipes save lives")
My loud XT600 took the lives of numerous cats and squirrels, a partridge, peasant and a raccoon.
This is a a bobcat that did the same thing into my KTM125:

full

Over the years I have had a lot of animals run out in front of me while driving at night.
Cats, raccoons, dogs, squirrels and even deer. Lonely rural highway, why do these animals decide to run out in front of me.
I got to see why as a cat along side the road watched the lights of an oncoming car and hunkered down in fear.
As the car came closer the cat hunkered lower and lower and at the last minute, bolted out in front of the car!
So that is it, the lights and noise spur them to make an escape right into that route that they predetermined on their way.
I've seen this behaviour in squirrels and raccoons too, now that I am looking for it.
The quieter the car or bike, the less likely the animal is to bolt I believe (so much for "Loud pipes save lives")
My loud XT600 took the lives of numerous cats and squirrels, a partridge, peasant and a raccoon.
This is a a bobcat that did the same thing into my KTM125:

full

I totally feel the same now that its either the loud engine noise factor,
Or the fast pedalling foots that make dogs want them to chase the rider.

I totally feel the same now that its either the loud engine noise factor,
Or the fast pedalling foots that make dogs want them to chase the rider.
that & the 'chase instinct' if you look like you're trying to run away

Animals With high sensitivity to smell occasionally like the smell of oil and fossil fuel it's really a primordial stage they get aggressive

That reminds me of our Bunny Slaughter road trip...
It was a trip for my grandmas funeral in Utah.

We drove up in the Astro Van with our son who was ~6.
Dead of night and my wife took a wrong turn when the freeway split in Utah.
We found a route to cross us back to the right freeway, ~10 miles or so, but is was a lonely road that is now known to us a Bunny Slaughter Way.

There were thounands of coton tail rabbits on the road the whole stretch.
We heard the first Thump as soon as we turned.
My wife wanted me to go get them out of way but that is like herding cats.

She finally just drove though.
The honking and thumping woke our youny son and he wanted to know what was going on.
The rest of that story is personal but the point is, things will get in our way and it is usually worse for them.

Back