relative newbie looking for reccomendations for reliable transportation

Silent, with pedals, with lights & horn, drum brakes, moped wheels and tyres, 23.5mph top speed, 25 mile range, rear folding huge rack🤭 can also be a passenger seat with cushioned backrest. And it's ugly. 😃
It won't go up mountains, hub motor has no gears. Its heavy.
The batteries are SLA but it would certainly be possible to upgrade. Battery box locked to frame.
The springs in the rack and track stand need to be stronger, that's why parts are tied.
Anyway it's a suggestion. ☺

In the background is the smallest church in the world. :coffee:🧐

Snazzy in an 80s way! How much did it cost?

Still one rule man... Don't get caught. For real though I'm not sure how bad traffic is in DC but a nice regular pedal bike may be better for a 2 mile commute. Can you ride a pedal bike on the road there?

Technically yes but there are killer hills. Trying to get away from that.

Did I read that right that in DC your motorized bicycle has to be emission tested every two years?

Honestly, if you already have an electric bicycle, then, a gas powered one won't make much of a difference. You have to pedal to start and in the city you'd be stopping all the time. I live in a small town and I try to avoid roads with lights all the time. My 7.5 mile commute to work might be an extra half mile than it could be but I only have to make 3 for sure stops and 2 lights which one is a right hand turn with light traffic. I can go the shortest distance but I'd face 12 lights and 4 stop signs. It would be faster on a regular bicycle that way and I'm 44 years old and work out like every leap year.

IMHO a gas powered bike isn't good for your needs.

Cool thanks, what kind of drive do you think?
Mid drive is the best drive. It's a bit more complicated to install compared to a friction drive but it'll allow you to run a larger engine and to have an extended seat for a 2nd rider.
If your mechanically inclined (or can at least read a manual/watch a youtube video) I'd suggest grabbing this kit from gasbikes when it comes back in stock. You can remove the sticker showing the engine size or better yet, replace it with one that states a legal size.
https://www.gasbike.net/products/79cc-monster-80-bike-engine-kit-4-stroke

If I ever build another motorized bike again, it's going to be using that 79cc tractor supply engine.

Back