Reliability...2 vs. 4 cycle engines

I MUST SAY ACROSS THE BOARD FOUR CYCLES RULE, AND THEY ARE MUCH STRONGER JUST LOOK AT THE MOMO BIKE MOTOR.
My aim is to make the strongest bike motor on the planet, you could get on it and ride fifty miles in under two hours, no disrespect to the two stroke guys.

Stuart

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIKUiY01M2E&NR=1

Sorry to bolt on you guys. The rear wheel locking up had nothing to do with the engine, just a fender malfunction (it got bound up between the wheel and frame).

Any advice on keeping the fender mounts from breaking?

change the fender mounts to "L" brackets from the hardware store
grind the rivets off and use bolts/locknuts
(a trick I learnd from SrDavo :D)

i think the most relyable bike is the 2 stroke Spooky Tooth. I have put thousands of miles on mine, my Cat Eye says over 600 since December when I finally bought an odometer/speedometer.
I have no engine problems whatsoever. I just tighten all those little bolts every weekened and carry the oil in a little glass jar and I have no worries.
I love the custom built bikes I see here but for me I need the relyability of a a Spooky Tooth.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think the most relyable bike is the 2 stroke Spooky Tooth. I have put thousands of miles on mine, my Cat Eye says over 600 since December when I finally bought an odometer/speedometer.
I have no engine problems whatsoever. I just tighten all those little bolts every weekened and carry the oil in a little glass jar and I have no worries.
I love the custom built bikes I see here but for me I need the relyability of a a Spooky Tooth.

"oil in a little glass jar"....fuel oil is this?
What's the setup there please IF it is fuel oil...do u tip the oil into the tank at a garage then fill it up with gas then shake the tank?

fetor,
I carry 3 oz of Motol 600 2 stroke oil in a jr baby food jar in the side mesh pocket of my backpack. The jars are strong, air tight and cheap to replace. I buy $1.50 of premium gas, I put in half the gas, add the oil, shake, then add the rest of the gas and shake shake shake! I gave up mixing gas in a gas can months ago.

twink,
I thought of doing that but didn't know how realiable it would be for mixing the fuel properly....i WOULD use it in an emergency for very long trips,but for everyday commuting it seemed unnecessary.
Handy to know though.

BTW...Motol is great,use it myself.

I ride so much and never know when my tank is low so I have to carry oil. I just do the math at the gas station. If a gallon of permium is 3.19 I pay for exactly half that and the 20:1 ration is 31/2 ozs. I am always within a couple blocks of a gas station so I can let my tank get pretty low.

Back