Reliability...2 vs. 4 cycle engines

Local time
11:58 AM
Hi All,

I have been running a 70cc 2-stroke kit motor from ebay for the past month or so. These are a lot of fun, but need lots of TLC. This morning, the rear wheel locked up suddenly and caused some serious road rash. Can any of you tell me which motors (2 or 4 stroke) are the most reliable?

Just my opinion: I think 4-strokes are more reliable, I also think Japanese manufacturing is superior to Chinese.

P.S. I think there is already a thread comparing 2-stroke and 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta agree with van...if u take everything into concideration 4-strokes are superior, it's just that 2-strokes are more compact and hence lighter.
Just about any country is better at manufacturing than the Chinese.I don't blame them...i blame our Western manufacturers who go overthere and say "how cheap can u make this".Their own "non-branded" items are also inferior(but cheap)
As for 2 or 4 it's a pretty personal decision...i love my HT 2-stroke,it's never let me down but i'll be swapping over to a 4 just as soon as i can get the parts........that's my personal decision.

Hi All,

I have been running a 70cc 2-stroke kit motor from ebay for the past month or so. These are a lot of fun, but need lots of TLC. This morning, the rear wheel locked up suddenly and caused some serious road rash. Can any of you tell me which motors (2 or 4 stroke) are the most reliable?
capitol how did the back wheel lock? did the drive chain fail, or engine sieze? hope your road rash heals quik

Other than initial install problems and loosening bolts (which have since been taken care of)
my HT engine seems fine.....I haven't experienced too much with the 4 strokes but I hear
they are possibly more reliable then the 2 stroke HTs.....I like look of the center mounted HT better than the 4 strokers tho.

Andrew

4 stroke = more moving parts...maintenance of valves, frequent oil changes; no biggie to me as I like them both equally well.

The 2 stroke engines dont need tlc, they break because people abuse them by running them at speeds/rpms well above what the engines can take.

Although the manufacturers are also to blame as the stock sprocket is simply too big which simply makes widespread abuse unevitable.

Hi All,

Sure wish you would have explained what caused the wheel to lock up. For someone like me considering either a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke, it's a real setback to make a quickie post like that and run off.

Unusual isn't it....perhaps he went away on hols or is sick.
I can only speculate it's something to do with his chain tensioner,causing the chain to jump off the rear sprocket then the chain wrapping itself around the countershaft sprocket, causing the engine to stop suddenly.
I guess we'll never know this mystery...this who done it.....this MBc own Bermuda Traingle.

My opinion:

Two stroke vs four stroke:

A quality two stroke engine is as reliable and rugged as a quality four stroke. There are differences in weight, power curve and torque curve but those things taken into account, little difference. It's not unusual to find 50 year old two stroke outboards still running with no rebuild.

Chinese engines:

Don't blame them or the western manufactures for poor quality, when we're buying all they can import. The marketplace is the final judge on what quality is produced. If a US manufacturer built and offered a high quality bike motor kit for $1500, how many of us would be in line to buy one?

Thoughts of a grumpy old man.

Back