Reliability - Mitsubishi TLE43

That's some real testimony to reliability, how an engine endures in an extreme climate like an Alaskan winter. Mitsubishi should be sponsoring that! :devilish:

Good to hear though really, 'cause I own four of them now. :D

As an aside, there are several clones from China made to look like these engines. I wonder how they hold up?

Hard To Start

My Tanaka 40 takes 4- 5 pulls to start with a lot of torque on engine, im starting to strain my arm. I rotated the pull start going down, put a round chord on the pull start and and kick start it. Less strain for my arm. i dont know if you can do this to the mitsu and bishi

I like mine so far, only have 2 tanks thru it but it's way better than my HT bike.. ( using staton gearbox with hub and chain, not friction ) ..

the mitsu is a hard starter tho.. anyone have reference pictures or such for the comments about having the cover on wrong ? I have removed mine a few times and i think i'm sure i have it on right but .. hey.. i'm guilty of donig stupid things regularly ! hehe.

I had the intake cover on wrong for a while, made it real hard to start. As I recall, there are a couple of tabs on the bottom of the cover that I didn't have in their slots.

Speaking of the carb on the Mitsu, Mine died and I just replaced it. About $70. Has anyone rebuilt their carb? It would be a lot cheaper.

My old TLE43 was on my wifes bike that was stolen. The motor had well over 1000 miles on it, was quiet, ran great and most importantly, required almost no maintenance. Clean the air filter, maybe a new plug but I never replaced the factory plug. It always required several pulls when cold but only 1/2 pull warm. It brings a tear to the eye to think about it because that was the most bullet proof bike motor I ever owned.

Need some help PLEASE I was running my mitisu tle 43cc motor yesterday 3-12-11 and it was running fine but then it started bogging down and stopped running.I got it to start up again ran it about 20 yards and stopped again. The mix gas i think calls for 40:1 ratio??? im running 50:1 mix could this have been why it quit running. I'm brand new to these motors and my staton friction drive kit on my bike,I really like this set up but need some help on what to do now PLEASE HELP thanks Panther.

Need some help PLEASE I was running my mitisu tle 43cc motor yesterday 3-12-11 and it was running fine but then it started bogging down and stopped running.I got it to start up again ran it about 20 yards and stopped again. The mix gas i think calls for 40:1 ratio??? im running 50:1 mix could this have been why it quit running. I'm brand new to these motors and my staton friction drive kit on my bike,I really like this set up but need some help on what to do now PLEASE HELP thanks Panther.

How you doing with the problem? Some of the suppliers recommend 40:1 for break-in on the TLE then going to 50:1, personally I split the difference and run 45:1. The 50:1 ratio is so emissions pass CARB II standards. It doesn't sound like the fuel mix is the problem though it might be in the fuel system.

If it were mine I'd pull the spark plug and take a look. It should be tan to light brown. If it's black, sooty with carbon or oily it's running too rich. The other end of the scale is if it's stark white, running too lean. If you pull the spark plug to check it, while you have it out attach the plug wire and isolate the plug so it cannot shock you and pull the starter cord a couple of times. You should see a nice blue spark at the plug.

If the plug looks good, the problem might be bad gas, dirty fuel filter or clogged fuel line. Check your fuel and fuel system and air filter.

How old is the engine, how many miles/hours does it have and was it stored well and fuel system drained? Was the engine running well before and then started acting up? The TLE's I've had were great running engines and seemed to get better with age.

Last edited:
One small possibility. I haven't worked on a small two-stroke in ages but one of them I had. If you get some of that achol-blended fuel it could cause that fuel diaphram to harden up. It pumps the fuel up into the carburator. That would cause a symptom like you are running out of fuel. Its easy to check it. It must be very rubber like condition. Flexible.

Back