Reliability of 4 cycle clutch and gearboxes

Here are some pipe pictures a chain tensioner from a bike derailer and my sprocket alignment tool also the lube hole.

Attachments

• 100_0478.jpg
    100_0478.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_0479.jpg
    100_0479.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 235
  • 100_0477.jpg
    100_0477.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_0463.jpg
    100_0463.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 100_0462.jpg
    100_0462.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 221
  • 100_0461.jpg
    100_0461.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 287
You know I look at that tensioner and I'm asking myself why this hasn't been done before.
BRAVO!!
And that sprocket truing stand? I just eye ball it but I see how you can really get spot on with that.

Soo... nsideus' derailer doesn't have that plastic sprocket found on most derailers?? And now it's just acting as a guide?

If that's correct, A+ for you!

Nice one Nsideus and I know it's bound to work perfectly but I need to see what the sprocket wheel is made of and exactly how that chain runs through it. Can you post a close up from the other side of the wheel looking at it through the spokes? Also how strong is the spring pulling the derailleur onto the chain - i.e. is it a strong tensioning force? I could copy that cos I've got a spare derailleur same as yours. I've just drilled the 5\16" hole you mentioned in the silencer and mine is in exact same spot as yours only I used a 9\32 bit cos it was closest I had. I'm about to post a thread about that clutch slip of mine with some pictures. The wet gearbox idea was a terrible flop for me.

Has anyone replaced the centrifugal clutch in the Grubee Skyhawk Stage 111 gearbox with a Max Torque or Hillard heavy duty centrifugal cluthes? If so did this eliminate the noise problem? The original is too noisy, no matter what type of lube I use. Am I wrong?, this is a dry clutch not intended to be run wet. I don't see how you could get any life out of it, with the noise it is making. So I have shut this project down until I can get some answers and am riding the bike I put together with the Chris Hill kit. Runs perfect.

Has anyone replaced the centrifugal clutch in the Grubee Skyhawk Stage 111 gearbox with a Max Torque or Hillard heavy duty centrifugal cluthes? If so did this eliminate the noise problem? The original is too noisy, no matter what type of lube I use. Am I wrong?, this is a dry clutch not intended to be run wet. I don't see how you could get any life out of it, with the noise it is making. So I have shut this project down until I can get some answers and am riding the bike I put together with the Chris Hill kit. Runs perfect.

The max-Torque clutch I purchased for my Honda GXH50 is to large in diameter to fit inside the Grubee gearbox Housing, I'm not familiar with the Hillard clutches but to fit the Grubee gearbox the dia needs to be 76/78mm My max-Torque is 100mm+ Staton Inc offers a heavy duty 76mm clutch that I would guess would be an improvement over the one offered with the grubee kit that I believe sells for around $70.00, I'm not sure who makes this clutch. Staton http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=2810

ocscully

You need to provide some links to the clutches you are referring to Packeryman. That way we can understand what you are saying and respond accordingly. The Grubee Stage3 gearbox is pretty new and only some stockists have it. Max Torque is too big and Hillard I'm not aware of. The Grubee clutches are made in Govt owned factories where the quality control is appalling and most times you need to file the key and keyways to get a really good fit - in fact you really need to buy a length of key to replace the really bad keys on the main shaft. The clutch expands at low revs and frequently causes a dinging metallic sound as it strikes the bell housing. Cheetoh has found a way to stop the dinging by drilling holes in the clutch to make it lighter. I am yet to try it for myself but if it works it will be a great breakthough:
http://www.motoredbikes.com//showthread.php?t=18106&goto=newpost
Those clutches do not wear out easily and give thousands of miles of use even if they are made with no attention to precision.
You can turn them around the other way to even the wear. If the Staton clutch is US$70 then that is too much for a centrifugal clutch.
The key on the engager slider shaft (final output) is frequently in need of precision filing to get the engager to release without sticking but that bit is Grubees responsibility.
Don't give up on your Gubee 3 GB - it prob is good once you fix it up but people are getting heartily sick of the poor quality control and the chance luck involved in getting a properly finished product.
The economic depression descending upon China will mean that they resort even more to quality fade to increase their falling profits so stand by for more stories like this one. What's needed is a crack vigilante squad of motored bikers that go into these factories and cut a little finger off one of the workers every time they send out a dud. They could call themselves "The Pinkies" !

Last edited by a moderator:
Back