Reliability

Wolfie65

Local time
8:59 AM
Looks like I might have to occasionally use the MB for trips totaling around 60 miles, any tips on how to up the reliability ?
I know everyone's going to say 'get a 4-stroke', but i don't want to do that, I'm going to keep the 2-stroke, but try to make it as long-distance reliable as it can possibly be.

Looks like I might have to occasionally use the MB for trips totaling around 60 miles, any tips on how to up the reliability ?
I know everyone's going to say 'get a 4-stroke', but i don't want to do that, I'm going to keep the 2-stroke, but try to make it as long-distance reliable as it can possibly be.
Break it in easy and don't push the max all the time. 30 and under will help it last and get your jobs done.

I think if you wanted a reliability orientated bike, you should buy a steel sleeve bore cylinder kit. Like the cdh 49mm kit, then hone the cylinder lightly with a 220 or 320 grit rigid hone. I havent went 60miles on a single trip, but have been 40miles numerous times in a single trip on my 49mm kit.

The other thing I think would help with reliability is to use a ceramic piston kote on the crown of the piston & the bottom/combustion chamber of the cylinder head. I might even go as far as coating the exhaust port. It should aid in better cooling/heat dissipation keeping cylinder temps down. Its available in a air cure version or a oven cure version. I'm planning on using this stuff on my next build.
Screenshot_20230304-232417_Chrome.jpg

The other thing I think would help with reliability is to use a ceramic piston kote on the crown of the piston & the bottom/combustion chamber of the cylinder head. I might even go as far as coating the exhaust port. It should aid in better cooling/heat dissipation keeping cylinder temps down. Its available in a air cure version or a oven cure version. I'm planning on using this stuff on my next build. View attachment 188409
OK, now I know what a guy I have met has been trying to keep a secret,

He's been coating his Whizzer pistons, valves, valve ports, head combustion chamber, cyl deck with this stuff,
He won't give up any info other than it's a special heat coating
When I asked him where he gets it done he says, "it's a private shop" and I would have to send him my parts to get it done, :ROFLMAO: BS
He must know a guy who bought a kit and does it himself

Now I know where I can get it done, I'll just buy the piston coating kit and do it myself :ROFLMAO:

I bet a wire wheel will strip Cerakote right off, I would have to reapplied it every time I clean anything :ROFLMAO: which I do alot

Creakote It's not on my must do list, but at least I know it's easy

OK, now I know what a guy I have met has been trying to keep a secret,

He's been coating his Whizzer pistons, valves, valve ports, head combustion chamber, cyl deck with this stuff,
He won't give up any info other than it's a special heat coating
When I asked him where he gets it done he says, "it's a private shop" and I would have to send him my parts to get it done, :ROFLMAO: BS
He must know a guy who bought a kit and does it himself

Now I know where I can get it done, I'll just buy the piston coating kit and do it myself :ROFLMAO:

I bet a wire wheel will strip Cerakote right off, I would have to have it reapplied every time I clean anything :ROFLMAO: which I do alot

Creakote It's not on my must do list, but at least I know it's easy
Yeah if you can get away with it, I would use the oven cure version of this piston kote. This stuff is awesome, I have a diesel guy/friend that coated his combustion chambers only on a Cat cylinder head. His cylinder head temp/exhaust temps dropped almost 100°f

The iron cylinder is a good thing for service life, but "reliability" is about more than service life. High quality STEEL piston rings, not cast iron rings, in conjunction with that iron cylinder will have the greatest life span of any combination that can be put together. Cast Iron rings work better in nikasil and chromium lined cylinders as the liners themselves have an extremely low coefficient of friction. and the rings hold on to the oil better. I digress...

Anyway, assuming the cylinder, ring, and piston combination you have is of good quality and you don't have to worry about the cylinder plating coming off, a 2 stroke can last for hundreds of hours.

The biggest operational factor to combat is heat. Keeping the jetting on point and a hair on the rich side definitely helps with this, as does running an appropriate amount of high quality 2 stroke oil for the conditions. Having a head temp. probe and display is something I consider invaluable to keeping the engine in good health. Being able to monitor the engine temps so you know if you may need to shut it down to let it cool for a few minutes can save a lot of pain down the road.

On the bike itself, properly securing wiring connections to prevent vibration related issues is never a bad thing. Going one step further and something that I have been doing with my Phantom bike is converting all of my electrical connections to weatherpack style connectors. I bought this little kit to get started, sure it's cheap knock-off stuff, but honestly the quality is more than adequate for the job. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-A...atherpack+connector+kit&qid=1678023845&sr=8-5

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
IR98 covers it thoroughly...well covered. If you can work on keeping engine heat and vibrations down your engine...and bike....will thank you by giving many hours and miles of trouble free service.
A bazillon recommendations can be given how to accomplish this.
Don't over work the engine by trying to go faster than the engine can reasonably handle.
Work on getting the vibrations down to an acceptable level by doing ALL the things necessary to accomplish this.
Expensive, quality oil will not fix any of this. Quality oil should be something that goes along with a well-tuned bike and engine.

Cerakote is pretty tough.Lots of gun owners have the entire weapon Cerakoted.

The CDH iron sleeve cylinders are nice. I have one. You may have to cleanup some of the ports with a Dremmel and Titanium bits.
Couple it with a good exhaust pipe to make the motor healthy.

Back