Remove bearings from Mag Wheel?

When you say "Thinned out" how thin do you (pound) them?
I think he means don't bunch them up in one spot... If I needed an ounce to balance it I would split it up in quarters spread them out not one big chunk... Why I use tape layered...

I haven't read any responses yet so if I am repeating, sorry.

I just did this the other day. One of the great guys in this forum recommended I tried a punch (I think he said tapered, but they didn't have any...) So I got a Walmart punch set and just tapped it from the other side ever so gently. Once I got a got idea of how to set the punch on there just right, it came right out. At first it was frustrating but after a few taps, you are able to get more of the punch on the lip.
Zak, Success! you were so right... just don't be intimidated..... I was because the CDH guy warned me several times not to do it myself. I used your punch method (even bought the cheap punch set from WalyWorld) and got the first one out right away. Then I had access from the other side. While the second one was stubborn , several tools later, Viola! The CDH guy gave me the tracking number last night and the new axles will be here today, but he never responded to my question about reimbursement for the bike shop labor. So I did not want to deal with more delay and waiting on the shop so I went for it. Thanks to all the forum folks and their contribution to this thread... it was a great discussion for sure. Best regards, Dennis

Attachments

• IMG_1934.JPG
    IMG_1934.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 117
Awesome. I'm getting ready to so the same today, myself. This weekend, I mean.

Remember to file out a little area to fit the punch on if you feel you need to, for next time you replace the bearings. I don't know how good the quality of the bearings are. Amazon has 10 packs for $10 of no-name brands, then 4 for $25 for good brand names.

Awesome. I'm getting ready to so the same today, myself. This weekend, I mean.

Remember to file out a little area to fit the punch on if you feel you need to, for next time you replace the bearings. I don't know how good the quality of the bearings are. Amazon has 10 packs for $10 of no-name brands, then 4 for $25 for good brand names.
I have plenty of bearings and axle choices... a second full set is coming today from CDH. They already sent me a set of axles (Step) with bearings.

I have plenty of bearings and axle choices... a second full set is coming today from CDH. They already sent me a set of axles (Step) with bearings.
Is the step the same as the old crush sleeve that was in there? The inner race and the step should have the same measurement.

I guess the saga continues just when I thought it was over... I got the new axle set and it is not like the one the CDH guy sent me a picture of the least of which is the problem.... three of the bearings are too large with the fourth one being the correct I. The rear axle looks too long though I have not tried it yet as I am going to use the ones I have. Wow.. not sure why this is so difficult that they have no idea what wheels use which axles or what they are shipping. Oh well... at least I have what I think I need to at least replace the seized bearings I took out of the front wheel which after I pounded on them they actualy turn now!

Attachments

• IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    207.3 KB · Views: 110
  • New Axles.jpg
    New Axles.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 121
OH man... I am going through the SAME THING!!! lmao. I searched high and low to find what I thought would be the perfect replacement axle. Then WTF... this one is offset. I am sure I can make it work, I just didn't want any more PROBLEMS.
THISjobWOULDbeGREATifITwerentFORtheCUSTOMERS.jpg

I guess the saga continues just when I thought it was over... I got the new axle set and it is not like the one the CDH guy sent me a picture of the least of which is the problem.... three of the bearings are too large with the fourth one being the correct I. The rear axle looks too long though I have not tried it yet as I am going to use the ones I have. Wow.. not sure why this is so difficult that they have no idea what wheels use which axles or what they are shipping. Oh well... at least I have what I think I need to at least replace the seized bearings I took out of the front wheel which after I pounded on them they actualy turn now!
Oh wow you even got different sized bearings.

OH man... I am going through the SAME THING!!! lmao. I searched high and low to find what I thought would be the perfect replacement axle. Then WTF... this one is offset. I am sure I can make it work, I just didn't want any more PROBLEMS.View attachment 165656
Zak is that the 6000 series axle in that pic of yours? I think you will be ok if you got the thread length needed. Aka it's long enough.

Back