Remove small bevel gear

Kelly Glenn

Local time
4:07 PM
How do I remove the small bevel gear on a 2 stroke bicycle engine kit I recently ran into a problem which damage the gear Beyond repair and I need to replace it

There is a tool that usually comes with the kit, looks like this
21icBwY47zL.jpg

The center post screws out and gets put into the other side, depending on what part you're pulling.

Clean the threads nicely with a small spare toothbrush and a cleaner like acetone or gasoline. (brush might not survive) spray some wd40 on the threads and carefully thread the tool onto the gear. If you cross thread it you'll ruin the tool, or worse the gear (making it very hard to remove) then tighten the center post down till it starts to pull the gear out.

If you don't have the tool you can use a hammer to smash the gear onto the shaft as well until the gear splits open like a peanut. This usually damages the shaft and the large gear and the crankcase and the seal if it was good before you started and sometimes leads to lacerations so wear goggles to protect your eyes from flying debri. This is not a recommended method but it does remove the gear and is highly effective during fits of rage but only mildly so when you aren't very mad. Sometimes getting drunk helps but it usually makes things worse, as with most vehicle related tasks. However, if you damage the engine you can blame it on the alcohol instead of your own stupidity, which can be comforting since being stupid isn't really useful or attractive, but being drunk is usually acceptable if you wait until after 11am.

Disclaimer: don't do this it's stupid, unless you're drunk.

if you don't have a puller but do have a grinder you can cut the sides off the gear to remove it just be careful not to cut the shaft! best to not fully cut the side then you can break the remaining piece with a hammer and chisel.

if you don't have a puller but do have a grinder you can cut the sides off the gear to remove it just be careful not to cut the shaft! best to not fully cut the side then you can break the remaining piece with a hammer and chisel.
Yea a hammer and alcohol just like I said.

Back