Remove super tight crank

bikes4ever

Local time
6:19 AM
So to try left peddal and crank of the exhaust, my own solution is to remove the crank from my older build, it seems to come out on a angle (offset?) I think it should clear it. Now here is my problem

I used a crank removal tool and get the bolt or whatever out just fine..... now i thread the other crank part in and use a ranch thing to try to get it off, but it seems really really really right now.... like i might break something??

Do i need to remove the other side crank first or do i just keep using all my might?
20190405_141338.jpg

So to try left peddal and crank of the exhaust, my own solution is to remove the crank from my older build, it seems to come out on a angle (offset?) I think it should clear it. Now here is my problem

I used a crank removal tool and get the bolt or whatever out just fine..... now i thread the other crank part in and use a ranch thing to try to get it off, but it seems really really really right now.... like i might break something??

Do i need to remove the other side crank first or do i just keep using all my might?View attachment 86832
thats normal, they should be really tight. (i had to slip on a pipe to replace the cranks on my older diamondback)
use a big adjustable wrench and it should pop off! (you will feel it)

It is probably corroded. Aluminum crank arm and steel crank spindle + salted winter roads + rain = galvanic corrosion.
Use anti seize/copper grease when you reassemble the crank. This should make it a bit easier next time (a large-ish adjustable wrench the length of the crank arm should be fine on a well maintained crank, no need for bracing or extending by putting pipe over the crank arm and wrench), as well as help to prevent creaking sounds too. :)

By the way, this is a bicycle maintenence question and should have been posted in the relevant section, not in 2-stroke engines. 😖

Last edited:
Looks like you've got it set up right - you snug up that black part into the crank cap threads, which appears to have been done in the pic you posted, then you spin the center silver part into it until the crank arm comes off. The square-tapered cranks can often get incredibly snug, and like Furry said, long-term contact between aluminum and steel often results in them just about gluing themselves due to galvanic corrosion.

Back