removing decals

JerboaJohn

Local time
11:29 AM
gett ing things ready to paint one bike's frame, and the other's forks and realized I can't just pull off the decals. so a heat gun but it leaves the sticky stuff. what do you use to get the gummy crap off but won't eat the paint?

I use a bottle of "sticky stuff remover" to remove all types of sticky stuff from my bike frame. It's not dissimilar to carb cleaner but there's a few ingredients in there I think.
I wouldn't hesitate to use things I have at hand if I didn't have SSR.. lighter fluid and then clean up any residue with carb cleaner.. But someone might be able to tell you if thats unsafe. Try on a well hidden area? The original powder coat can be painted over anyway so idk how bad it can be.

(edit: carb cleaner not carbon cleaner. bloody autocorrect)

Last edited:
yeah I'm painting over the original coat, so just trying not get any low spots to avoid extra filling and sanding. bodywork isn't my forte,,

If the bike is newer than mid-1990s it's not painted, it's powder coated. You can hit powder coat with damn near anything without hurting it. Lacquer thinner is my go-to solvent, takes just about everything off.

2nd vote for WD40, works great on removing sticky stuff plus bugs and tar. Easy on the paint too.

oh I never thought abt wd40 being good for that,, thanks guys! you're helping this project along great. I hope I can finish the bikes before it gets warm again and be ready to go rip
oh we have Goo Gone at work too. some guy was peeling up tape w/it.

Back