removing handle bar grips

A

atcspaul

their is a better way then cutting them. take your compressor and put on a blower tool and slide just inside the grip if unable use a screwdriver to open a little. then just blast some air they slip right of. this works great for putting them on to. a lot cleaner then soap or cutting them and faster to

Hmmm.....good idea....I'll have to try that next time! (I have either been cutting them or using the brute force approach by rolling them off)...

Andrew

it works slick and saves alot of grips. not much on motors but have built a few bicycles in my day. here is the mountain bike i built and had custom painted and all carbon fiber. weighs out at just under 21 pounds.

Attachments

• 655379008_8b3c772e18_m.jpg
    655379008_8b3c772e18_m.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited by a moderator:
I always use..

I use a super long skinny flat tip screw driver. I spray the screw driver with some very diluted Soapy water ( just a touch of dish soap in the water) and slip it under the grip, then... With the screw driver stuck pretty far in there, I spray some up inside under the grip, then remove/pull the screw driver out. Then.. Twist the grip right off. Enjoy the ride...

ACTSPAUL, man did I feel stupid at first while trying your suggestion and then it dawned on me. Had to cover the other end of the bar to get the PSI built up, then released it and zoom both grips flew right off. No fluids, just compressed air and these grips have been on since 1970's. I could not budge them by hand.
Thanks again for sharing your tips.
Doc

we can all learn from each other. that is what makes it such a great forum. the air is best and fastest thing i have found.

Augie, if you come accross this, you might consider moving it the tips and tricks section.
It worked Flawlessly!
Doc

Back