Removing old decals

A

alesterfeind

I want to remove some old factory decals on my bike frame, which is a chrome frame. I was thinking to use something like Goof Off, or possibly a solvent like thinner. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

a heat gun or blow drier to start (heat softens the adhesive)
then goof-off to get rid of residual glue
should be all you need

You should be able to use just about anything on chrome... if it's plating is heavy enough, not many solvents should damage it... Try Goof-off, it works fine usually, if the sticky goo is really stubborn try a little lighter fluid... It's a bit oily and doesn't tend to evaporate as quickly as thinner, makes quick work of sticky goo... But be careful, I've seen lighter fluid damage painted surfaces and some cheapy rubbers and plastics... Word to the wise... always find a test spot!

Hair Dryer

I guess my wife does know other uses for the hair dryer after all. haha I will probably start with that, and then the Goof Off. I figured the chrome finish would be safe compared to painted surface, so I could probably try several things without too much worry. Thanks for the suggestions.

I recently took the stickers off my polished alumminum frame. They had been on there 10+ years. I just started the edge of them with my finger nail. Then cleaned the glue off with mothers mag & alumminum polish. You wouldnt even know they where ever there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I removed them last night. Even though they must have been on there for years, they pulled off in fairly large pieces. Goof Off got the adhesive off pretty easily. Looks very nice now. Thanks.

Back