repack cb-110 hubs without cages?

Typically you'd see around 30 to 50 thousand miles on a good set of properly maintained bearings... excess grease is excess grease... what you do to the bike under load and how well the parts are maintained and protected will determine the life of the bearing. I'd likely be lower on life expectancy since I abuse them regularly. You'd probably of gotten many several thousands of miles out of that wheel if you didn't beef jerky it.

Hmm, hey Frankenstein, you seem like you have a BEARING on things :D I like the idea of a sealed bearing wheel, u ever see anything like that available? Or see someone retrofit a sealed bearing into a bicycle?

Yes there are plenty of sealed hubs available , and yes like I said above you can retrofit a normal hub to accept a sealed bearing.

My wheels came standard with these odd sort of rubber seal that was part of the bearing cone, it worked and still works great, a double lip kind of edges in the hub that mesh nicely and keep out stuff.

I can only see 2 problems with a standard radial bearing in a bicycle wheel, that the bearing doesn't take side loads as well as the angle contact bearings that are normally seen in wheels, and that the bearing cone is designed to be threaded on the axle, which means absolutely no play from the inner race on the axle, a hardened radial bearing race on the axle on the threads can eventually roll and flatten the threads, which will give vertical play, and the more play the worse it wears making more play. I simply couldn't ride on that without worrying about my bearings bursting at the seams.

I failed a lot of bearings in bikes, vehicles, and roller skates. I found that sometimes it really just takes only the right bearing to get the job done, and since I only have 2 bearings keeping my wheel from dismantling itself in the middle of a ride on a road with big metal things that kill squishy people bodies I'm going to just get the right bearing on that the first time and use the right grease of course to keep them rolling smooth.

I question why your hub side race cracked. Doesn't happen often, rarely in fact, are you sure the hub isn't warped or cracked, leading to a place for the bearing to breach without proper back support.

hey, i greased and assembled my wheels, unfortunately i wasnt able to get the rear to work with no cages because the balls kept falling out, so i have one of the two cages in there. im going to look into how this is supposed to be done because i just cant get the ball to stay.

hey, i greased and assembled my wheels, unfortunately i wasnt able to get the rear to work with no cages because the balls kept falling out, so i have one of the two cages in there. im going to look into how this is supposed to be done because i just cant get the ball to stay.
pack them all in one side and put the axle with the cone in , then flip it over and drop the balls in the other side the axle will stop them from falling through just pop the other cone on and your done.

I put the balls in, but when I finally got them all on the hub right and I tightened the cone it moved the balls and they fell into the hub again. So I quit and just used one of the cages instead of two. If you have a video I would appreciate it BC I probably did something wrong

I put the balls in, but when I finally got them all on the hub right and I tightened the cone it moved the balls and they fell into the hub again. So I quit and just used one of the cages instead of two. If you have a video I would appreciate it BC I probably did something wrong
I don't have anything to make a video , but just put the axle in before the balls this will stop them falling into the hub .

? I did this, I put the balls in one side, put the sprocket and axle through, then tried putting the balls in the other side and screwing the cone onto the axle, but the spinning of the cone pushes the balls off the part their supposed to stay on into the hub.

Is it possible that you keep looking at the problem wrong and it's not really a problem? I fail to understand how the cone is pushing anything out of place being that the cone has always locked the bearings in place as I tightened it. Are you using the right bearing size? I still don't understand why you are having so much trouble I think I could pack them with my eyes shut just by feel... Usually the grease holds it all in place right till when the bearing cone takes over. Unless you're not using enough bearings and leaving an unacceptable gap, but then that might explain why the manufacturer used caged bearings (other than simplicity of manufacturing of course.)

Even then a radial side groove bearing should mostly assemble itself in this kind of situation. Try working a little slower, might be you're trying to move too quick and it's messing up the method.

Back