Replace 10T sprocket (BGF trans.) with 11T freewheel ??

michael whiteman

Local time
7:48 AM
To Mike and Jerry: Seeing as you have been riding your bikes, how do you feel about the fact you have no freewheel when pedaling . How much extra effort are you experiencing having to keep the belt and pulley spinning ? Is there any drag from the clutch at all ? The reason I ask...........the 8G transmission for tapered shaft engines have a freewheel built into their 11T drive sprocket. I'm wondering how hard it would be to install one of these on our 7G shafts ? I wish there were some better/different pictures of this. Maybe someone with a freewheel sprocket and a tapered shaft motor would be willing to enlighten me here.

None of the sellers really show good views of their transmissions. I did find a slightly different angle for the trany which has the 11T drive sprocket. It appears to me that there is an adapter shaft that is between the output driveshaft with the large pulley and the sprocket. Is this adapter the reason you can use an 11T freewheel sprocket ? I think maybe the shafts are all the same. Can someone that owns one of these confirm or deny this ??

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
You can get a Staton Inc hub and attach a left hand threaded freewheel to it. Then attach your rear wheel sprocket to the freewheel

Jerry: the 11T sprocket comes attached to a freewheel. This configuration is on the tapered shaft engines with a belt drive tranny. In the picture it is a brownish color. The 10T sprocket comes on the 15mm straight shaft engine and has no freewheel. It is black. In some pictures you can see what appears to be a shaft extender/adapter. Maybe the ID is larger? I hope someone who has one can confirm this with better pictures.

Last edited:
Jerry: the 11T sprocket comes attached to a freewheel. This configuration is on the tapered shaft engines with a belt drive tranny. In the picture it is a brownish color. The 10T sprocket comes on the 15mm straight shaft engine and has no freewheel. It is black. In some pictures you can see what appears to be a shaft extender/adapter. I hope someone who has one can confirm this with better pictures.
What pictures????

Found what you're talking about.

I was referring to pictures from the manufacturers and the ebay kits, like the one you posted. This is exactly what I was talking about. It would sure be cool if this sprocket would fit on our 15mm straight shaft transmission.

I was referring to pictures from the manufacturers and the ebay kits, like the one you posted. This is exactly what I was talking about. It would sure be cool if this sprocket would fit on our 15mm straight shaft transmission.
Obviously, they got it from somewhere. I've found similar 11t freewheels but they're costing $60+.

Back