Replace sprocket on coaster hub?

Norm

Local time
6:44 AM
Hi,
Let me start by saying I'm happy to be here! Here's my problem: I'd like to change my gear ratio so I'll have faster peddling starts. The weight of the motor is giving me a little difficulty in peddling from a stop. I want to change the rear sprocket size so I can take off easier. Can anyone tell me how to go about this?

Glad to be here!
Norm

See attachment, #17 & 18 are the same for coaster and 3speed hubs, remove # 18{snap ring} and # 17 will come off. louis

Attachments

• awhub.gif
    awhub.gif
    16.6 KB · Views: 294
There's like a c clip wire on the sprocket. Spread it and it pops off. Then the sprocket pops off.
Then you have won!

:D

(edit) Aw! Ratrdder has the faster trigger finger!

You'll probably want a 20 tooth sprocket to replace what's probably a 16 or 18 tooth in yours.

Amazingly you can find those everywhere.

Them little kids bikes have them.

Broke down you can find them in the trash and people be giving them away for 5 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sprockets are held on by a snap ring, which you can pry off with a small flat-blade screwdriver. When you replace the sprocket, it is a good idea to use a hammer and punch to seat the snap ring into its groove so that the sprocket can't accidentally pop off, leaving the brake inoperative!

Older coaster brakes used threaded sprockets and lock rings, as with track hubs. Although they are the same in theory, they commonly used different threading, so they are not usually interchangeable with track sprockets.

Back