Replacing broken axle on a Morrow Hub

MaxGlide

Local time
3:38 AM
Hello all,

Well the axle on my Morrow hub is snapped in half and of course finding an original has not been successful.

I did find a longer axle with the proper thread, all parts screw on and off nicely.

However, the center part on the axle where there is no thread, is narrower on the replacement axle.

My questions are:
1) Does the axle bushing use the end of the thread on the axle as a stopping point and is brake adjustment then done by turning the cone on the arm side?
2) Can i use this axle in view of this?

This is the link to the Morrow hub diagram.

http://strandcruisers.com/morrow/morrow_coaster_brake_schematic.htm

Thanks..... Wayne

Last edited:
If that is an old timey skip-tooth sprocket

I'll bet you can find some answers at thecabe.com.

Of course, if you knew that was an old timey skip-tooth sprocket, you probably already knew about thecabe.com too.

A life rule for me is "never disassemble the brakes."

I have a coupe of good local bike shops that do stuff like that surprisingly cheap.

On the other hand--alway good to add another wrinkle to the grey matter. Let us know how it turns out.

I figured it out..... I think!

Well after studying the components and how they go together I am pretty sure that the new axle will be fine.

The axle bushing does not depend on the end of the threads on the axle as a stopping point. The bushing locks into the left cone via two "horns" so that the bushing can only turn if the left cone turns. Neither cone should move once set and locked into place with the flat nuts on the end.

Thanks all!!

Wayne

Back