Replacing Rear brake cable

For cable ends to prevent unravel here’s my cheepskate poormans version for this….a piece of wire insulation held on with a dot of super glue.

Attachments

• C81CA2D6-4FC5-4142-B43B-A43E42920549.jpeg
    C81CA2D6-4FC5-4142-B43B-A43E42920549.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 78
  • 4684FA9A-FBAF-422D-AC3F-1D370F439CF4.jpeg
    4684FA9A-FBAF-422D-AC3F-1D370F439CF4.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 98C05584-5504-4C89-B635-334D509DBF87.jpeg
    98C05584-5504-4C89-B635-334D509DBF87.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 78
I bought some of silver end caps for cable ends, they're cheap and keep the cable pretty looking. Just use crimpers to keep them on.

I've had a couple of bikes with cables routed through the frame, always wondered how difficult it would be to replace one. It doesn't look easy. Maybe b4 pulling the old one out tie the new one to it some how.

A bit of solder does the trick as well...
I used to solder my ends but it would not always work out well. Sometimes oil or anti-rust coating makes solder tuff unless you clean the cable end well. I’ve had problems getting the solder to stick. It was always hit or miss for me even cleaning the cable end well with acetone..dremel wire wheel…mapp gas..yellow bottle torch.
This is what made me switch to the plastic insulation. It’s fast and sure.

None of this is a true substitute for the intended purpose crimp on cable ends. I just do this so rarely I never make a good enough effort to remember to buy some of the ends.
The sliver crimp on ends give the cable a good look.

I used to solder my ends but it would not always work out well. Sometimes oil or anti-rust coating makes solder tuff unless you clean the cable end well. I’ve had problems getting the solder to stick. It was always hit or miss for me even cleaning the cable end well with acetone..dremel wire wheel…mapp gas..yellow bottle torch.
This is what made me switch to the plastic insulation. It’s fast and sure.

None of this is a true substitute for the intended purpose crimp on cable ends. I just do this so rarely I never make a good enough effort to remember to buy some of the ends.
The sliver crimp on ends give the cable a good look.
The key to success... Flux pen!

Coat the end of the cable with some flux and soldering life gets quite a bit easier...

:D

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back