Replacing Rear brake cable

For cable ends to prevent unravel here’s my cheepskate poormans version for this….a piece of wire insulation held on with a dot of super glue.
That's a handy trick, (y)

But I need to pull on the end of the cable in order to release it from the brake arm, a crimped on metal end cap is something to grab onto while I push the brake arm forward to release the cable hold from the arm. Without that little crimped on metal cap I would have to use pliers
A glued on piece of wire insulation is just gonna pull off and not work for me, But it's a good DIY trick

Attachments

• DSCF9788.JPG
    DSCF9788.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCF9790.JPG
    DSCF9790.JPG
    151.3 KB · Views: 69
Love me some V brakes. Best, easiest brakes to adjust ever. Puts caliper brakes to shame, center pull too. Back in the 70's my cable ends were a mess pulling on them with pliers. You needed 3 hands to adjust them properly.

caliper brakes Back in the 70's my cable ends were a mess pulling on them with pliers. You needed 3 hands to adjust them properly.
I guess you never heard of or used the Third Hand caliper brakes adjusting tool

I discovered this nifty little tool when I was a teenager to adjust the brakes on my 10 speed
It basically holds the brakes in so you can adjust the cable

To adjust the cable properly using the Third Hand tool
1) put the Third Hand tool on the brakes
2) adjust the cable adjusting barrel all the way out
3) pull the cable tight at the brakes and lock it down with the nut
4) remove the Third Hand tool
4) adjust the cable adjusting barrel all the way back in, or to where the hand lever pull is perfect
5) brakes are adjusted perfect

DSCF9791.JPG

Back